Mitral Valve ring too small

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Yup, I had MVR back on 01/30/2012 and having a misdiagnosis of exercise-induced asthma and getting out of shape (gained 22 pounds since the surgery) or "deconditioned", I finally had a stress echo and it showed that the ring was too small and a TEE to confirm. How long can you go with a ring that is too small before having to have it replaced? My exercise isn't like it was and my tri valve is moderately leaking, MV moderately and now my MV is inducing moderate mitral stenosis. My blood pressure is normally around 105/65 so I am not taking any medication. I moved to North Texas after the TEE so I have to get a new cardiologist but my previous one wanted to discuss possible surgery.... :/

Laura

Hi, Laura,

I have never heard of that! I had mitral repair nine years ago (June 16, 2006), and had a ring as well. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine--I was misdiagnosed with asthma three years ago, and recently was evaluated for exercise-induced pulmonary hypertension (now my electrophysiologist thinks my symptoms might be related to SVT and I'll be having an ablation soon).

Surgery to fix your issue might be a good idea though I know it's scary to think about, but honestly if the small ring is causing symptoms, then it could be affecting your valve function and you would eventually need surgery anyway. Surgery is inevitable for me, too.

Best,
Debi

Hi, Laura,

I have never heard of that! I had mitral repair nine years ago (June 16, 2006), and had a ring as well. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine--I was misdiagnosed with asthma three years ago, and recently was evaluated for exercise-induced pulmonary hypertension (now my electrophysiologist thinks my symptoms might be related to SVT and I'll be having an ablation soon).

Surgery to fix your issue might be a good idea though I know it's scary to think about, but honestly if the small ring is causing symptoms, then it could be affecting your valve function and you would eventually need surgery anyway. Surgery is inevitable for me, too.

Best,
Debi

I saw a research paper recently that found that when the proper calculations were done, a very high percentage of replacement mitral valves had an insufficiently large annular ring, which does result in added stress on the ventricular wall. Worth having a very candid discussion with you cardiologist. Having a too-small valve ring is associated with poorer outcomes, so redoing the surgery may ultimately be your best option.

Latest posts

Back