Missing Hiker..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Extremely Sad......

This is Extremely Sad......

What in Heaven's name is this world coming too?!? It's a horrible thing when a person can't even go outside for some exercise or fresh air because of the potential to be attacked or kidnapped or murdered. I just don't understand it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

There must be something to the thought that the good die young because I cannot figure out any other reason for things like this. I do believe God has a plan but it sure seems hard to understand when something totally insane happens as in this case.

My heart goes out to her and her family.

There sure are a lot of sick people in this world.
It seems like this kind of tragedy happens every other week.
I know what should happen to this sicko, but I can't post that here.:mad:
Rich

Well said, Rich. I believe capital punishment is fully warranted in a case like this. Even if this young woman was his sole victim, I would have that conviction, and they are investigating whether he murdered other hikers such as the elderly couple in western North Carolina. I would express myself in stronger terms, but it might not be good reading on this forum, which is devoted so wonderfully to life. We all grieve over this terrible, senseless taking of a promising life.

This is so very tragic. This type of thing seems to have become part of our daily news. In 1992 my wife and I spent eight weeks in the Netherlands. I was working and she was vacationing. We were based in the small town of Utrecht. Wanting to experience the culture and not needing a car my wife was out and about and on the go the entire time. Using buses, trams, trains etc to visit neighboring towns and countries. She is very independent (can you blame her:rolleyes: ). This became a bone of contention with us as I was concerned for her safety. My associates there did not understand my concern. The crime rate there is (or was) extremely low and the type of attack reported on this thread was unheard of. After a couple of week I became more comfortable with her stubbornness (I mean independence). It was refreshing to walk back from the pubs, sometimes very late with no fear of harm. I don?t really know what my point is, but I have never forgotten how refreshing it was to stroll the streets in complete comfort. I imagine it use to be like that here many, many years gone by.

My prayers are with her family and friends.

Cooker,

I went to Paris in 1982 alone. Traveled the Metro alone, went to the cafes and museums alone - never worried. Did a lot of the same things in NYC in the late seventies and early eighties. Would never do any of that today.

When we were kids, there were numerous times I went with a friend up to the main shopping district at age 10 or so. Could you even imagine that being allowed now?

So very sad - the state of our world right now.

Atlanta news

Atlanta news

Just watched the Atlanta 6 P.M. news. Detailed reports on Meredith...They did say.she was alive for 3 days...then killed with a blunt instructment and ..don't want to say what else was done to her..:( ...they also said, he may have been a serial killer..We had a young boy..age 14 murdered several years ago in same location..Now it is called the Levy (his name) helping with unsolved murders..Also, the elderly couple who was hikling back in Oct. in their 80's.. Wife's body was found but not husband..however,a picture of a man wearing the husbands yellow jacket was taken at an ATM..same color jacket this man had..also, a beauty shop owner ..same location. body was found in same location...All this is in the next county where I live..North Ga..west of Atlanta. Atlanta news still talking..as I talk..many knew this man..said, he was always walking the trails with lots of food in back-pack...many had reported him...as being weird..but they said, news. one is allowed to stay on Appalachian trail for 2 weeks. leave 1 day and allowed back?......Hate to be graphic reporting this news...but thought it would be helpful....Myself, I was wondering at age 61..where did he get his income?.News said, he had a legal tag..but false address..Living out of his van?....Memorial services for Meredith will be held Friday..Family said, donations to go to local Humane animal shelters............My thoughts..the Appalachian Trail is very safe in spring,summer, fall . with many people walking up there..but dangerous on the off-season...An Atlanta reporter just showed walking it today..Very foggy, ect....Bonnie

Gee whiz, when I was attending college in southern Minnesota, back in the early 70's, there were many nights when we (girls) would hitchhike into town late at night for a bite to eat. We never gave it a thought, and no one else did either. It's sure a different world out there, and has been, for awhile.:(

There sure are a lot of sick people in this world.
It seems like this kind of tragedy happens every other week.
I know what should happen to this sicko, but I can't post that here.

I completely agree. No punishment would be too harsh for this animal.

We went camping the same time of this tragic event. I had considered Vogel
but decided on a park in South Carolina instead. The third night we were there was kind of creepy. There were two other families at the campground the first two nights. The third night we were the only people at the campground. I was the last one in our family to use the restroom before we all went to bed. The light in the restrooms are timed. I know the light went off before I went to bed. I got up in the middle of the night to use it. I noticed the light was on in the restroom. I thought, there is no else here, who or what caused the light to go on. I honestly got a little scared and decided to use the woods for a bathroom. Needless to say I did not sleep that well the rest of the night. This was before I knew about the tradegy in Vogel.

Karl

He apparently won't be getting the death penalty if found guilty. He bargained for showing them where the body was.

The news said that sometimes the family suggests the deal of no death penalty so they can find their loved one and find closure. If found guilty of any of the other missing and murdered people he can be tried and given the death penalty. Thats good to know. I guess if it was my loved one missing I would at least want the body to bury. Its just all so senseless.

Back