Missing Hiker..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granbonny

I am sure many of you have seen this on national news..24 year old Meredith Emerson.went hiking with her 1 year old black lab on New Years Day (Ellla)..they were last seen about 15 miles from where I live..Very nice place..Vogel state park.....Her dog was found last night..50 miles away..he walked into a Kroger store..Had the chip..so Vet was able to confirm it was Ella....the person of Interest was picked up yesterday..last person..seen with her..playing with their dogs....Sad news..Atlanta T.V just said..this person was arrested for kidnapping and body-harm?..and now, they will focus on a 5 mile area..from the very ..popular ..
Appalachian trail...I have walked it before..:eek: But only going just a nice walk..cannot understand. how this person of interest. did her body harm..so many walking this part of the Appalchian trail. they even have a huge store there..Stone..built back in the early 30's..I have always enjoyed going up there and watching the hikers..Hiking from Ga. to Maine.....Atlanta news just said again....a few minutes ago..going to just look for bad news. So sad..She was from Co..just moved to the outskirts of Atlanta. loved to hike, ect. bonnie

Such a shame Bonnie. It looks like the "person of interest" may have been watching her. Premeditated, etc. :(

Gina

Gina

Reading.now local paper from Gainesville. Meredith grew up in Longmont, Co..Graduated from the University of Georgia with a French degree..Had a great job....Left a note with her roommate..where she/Ella were going...About a 90 minute ride.....Roommate and her parents..knew she was well prepared for the trip..Wearing warm clothes...Been hilking ect. for years..in Co.....How this happened?..Person of interest..his photo is on T.V. Older smaller male..had warrents out on him...Just not safe for any young females to go out....even in popular places. ..Hiking , ect. many Nuts out there....Bonnie

Very sad news, Bonnie. I keep hoping and praying that somehow it will have a happy ending, but it looks bleak right now. I have seen statistics on how safe the Appalachian Trail is, relatively speaking (it runs less than a mile from my home and I take short hikes on it). But you are right. We live in times with too many sickos.

He, person of interest..also had a dog..and people coming forth with info..said, they saw them..playing with their dogs. why, maybe she was comfortable with him..:( ..Tomorrow....I plan to go up with food for searchers..the least I can do..Very remote area. Long way from any town..15 miles to nearest store..Anyway..Bonnie

These news are so distressing & so sad; so senseless!

I know that when I go walking out in the boonies w/my doggies, I always pack my maze, & a cell phone; I'd like to pack a gun if I could but then, anyone could wrestle a gun away from me & use it to shoot me! :eek:

She probably thought a fellow dog lover (as he seemed to be) was a safe person to talk to. It is really getting sad out there when we can't do our normal things without feeling safe.

Bonnie, I was wondering if this was near you.

So very sad.

I'm going to sound like an old grouch (I'm not that old), but it seems to me one of the lessons of this horrible tragedy is NEVER be alone in an isolated place, like a park or a walking path where there is no one there. I know I did it when I was in my lovely 20's, but now I shiver. This was in the 70's and it was a gentler world. Now it seems that every female has a target on her back for every deviant. No woman, no matter how fit and strong can fight off a man who is intent on killing her. So much for women's rights. I'm not an old curmudgeon, this sort of thing just makes me angrry and sends chills up my back. I have a gorgeous 25 year old daughter. I can imagine how her family is feeling right now. Sorry, that's just my opinion.:mad:

Gina

Gina

Yes..I can see the Mountain...Why I am so sad...Maybe 30 miles away..but know..Drove down to grocery store ..looking up at it...wondering..where is she?Just knowing there are so many people up there ...hiking, ect....How could she get kidnapped? On New Years day..It was a nice day? many people up there.....I guess..tomorrow will be the news on Atlanta T.V...will probably be bad. ...Policeman son has always told me..run..if anyone holds a gun on you.....chance are they will miss. also..If they are in back seat..holding a gun on you..Hit the nearest pole .HARD.your airbag will save you...and gunman will get out of car..Just never give up to their demands..bonnie

So hard to know what one would do in any situation. I would like to think that I would rather die trying to escape someone than to give them the thrill such sick people seek. I had a friend who was attacked on a street in NYC in broad daylight. A man held a knife to her and tried to get her into a car. She grabbed the knife blade and, although ended up with a partiall severed thumb (was reattached) she scared the man and he ran off and was later caught and put away. She firmly believes she would not be alive today if she had not done what I think was an amazing thing.

I think too many people think they can manage to talk people out of hurting them when, in reality, it never works. You cannot reason with such psychos.

note to Bonnie: Appalachian Trail runs directly in front of my house.

There is a couple also missing in that area and they are looking at this same man as a possible suspect.

Sad world.

Ann

Ann

The Appalachian Trail .begins at Springer Mountain in Georgia and runs 2,000 miles to Maine....google it..shows the map..running thru all the states..mainly along the highest peaks in the State....Last news I heard.. They found 3 fleece bloody shirts and her wallet/driver's lincene in a dumpster..near where they pick up the suspect...down near Atlanta.it was a warm nice day..and I was walking the dog around 4 P.M. and a helicopter flew over my house.. coming from the direction from where she disappeared..so guess searchers are still focused on finding her body up there..So sad......Bonnie

This is so sickening and sad. The terrible reality is that young women have to worry about being ambushed by perverts like this more than males do. It strikes home to me as I worry about my own family members. But since I take walks on the Appalachian Trail and other trails around here, it makes me think about safety in general too. I often park my car along a Parkway overlook and do a hike with my dog Sadie. It is not inconceivable that some thugs could look for hikers just to gun them down, take their car keys and wallet, etc. There are lots of studies showing statistically that walking the trails is safer than walking the streets of your average city. Still, this tragedy makes me wonder about getting some form of protection, maybe even a gun, to take along.

I certainly hope that that justice is done in this case and that safety awareness is raised for all, but women in particular.

This will have a sad ending, I'm

This will have a sad ending, I'm

afraid. Such a lovely young gal. I always went hiking on my own when I was her age and still do (whenever I go now, which is rare sadly). It is a needle in a haystack type of thing - thousands of women hike on their own - you are just supposed to tell people where you are going and when to be expected back. You can't not go out and do things always afraid of the crazies out there. What a horrid way to have a life ended - it is such a terrible thing for her parents and family to deal with.

BTW - I guess this gal was from Longmont, CO, which is 40 minutes from us. She had moved to Georgia recently (?).

Christina L

They found her.

From Foxnews.com:

ATLANTA ? Authorities found the body of a missing hiker Monday, hours after a judge denied bond to the man accused of kidnapping her in the mountains of northern Georgia.

Update on Missing Girl

Update on Missing Girl

Sadly, I just read on CNN news on the Internet that they had located the body of the missing hiker, Meredith. So sad & so senseless! I can't imagine what her family is going through!

Live conference on now from Atlanta. GBI said, the suspect led them to her body..at 7 :30 P.M. tonight..in the county near where her dog was found..in a wooded area..Citizens reported seeing his white van in that area.. Very sad.......Bonnie

This makes me so sad. I have been following the story since the beginning. The man who did this may be linked to other murdered and missing people they are saying. I have a daughter who is 33 and lives alone in an apartment building. She comes in late alone and I worry about her everyday. I called her and asked her to please take extra care. This brings home how easily something like this can happen.

Latest posts

Back