Missed a dose - what to do?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

Damn. I woke up this morning and realize I forgot to take my warfarin. What's even more bizarre, I even tested last night (INR = 2.1 so it's lower) then got sidetracked and completely forgot to take it!!....and now I get I a plane for an all day flight. What would you do? Pop some pills this am. Or wait and take a larger dose tonight? I'm inclined to take something now (at 8am) and then a slightly bigger dose tonight. I take 9mg daily.
Thanks,
T

dick0236;n865596 said:
I'd take last nites dose(9 mg) now and resume my normal schedule tonite........it happens.

Agreed, and it's really nothing to fret about at all. People with modern valves often aim for lower than that anyway.

Hi Tony

T in YVR;n865635 said:
....need to get one of the daily pill boxes so that I don't forget!

Yes! Get a pill box.

I am willing to bet that the greater majority of self misdoses in medicine are because people do not have a pill box

So -> get a pill box and put an alarm on your phone.

Put the pill box where you will unavoidably see it during the day. For instance where you sit to eat. Inspect it to check when you sit in the morning or the evening (depending)

The alarm on the phone is dead simple. All phones I've ever seen have an alarm capacity, simple phones, feature phones, smart phones of all flavor.

Put the alarm to be at a time when you're normally eating, when you're not normally "out" .. you'll know that schedule yourself.

The daily named pill box provides a visual double check. For instance:
  • I take my pills at 7pm, because I'm usually eating dinner, cooking dinner or getting back from some training.
  • The alarm goes off on my phone and I take them then.
  • If for some reason (it happens despite intentions) you are doing something else (say, in that little room on the holey char) and you miss taking it, then your habit of inspecting to check will pay off and catch those times when you were diverted and missed
this will at least divide by 10 the number of times you miss a pill or take the wrong dose.

This is mine, its where I prepare meals. I leave the day lids open after I've taken the pills so I know from a distance if yesterdays pill lid is down when it should be up (meaning I forgot to take it last night).

27084104604_dd9b9afdb3_c.jpg

it cost something like $5...

Further, (if like me you self dose) fill the pill box on the same day every week. For me that's Sunday night, after I took Sundays dose. This will ensure you're cognizant of your doses and make sure you double check that you've administered the correct dose (the other reason for failure in dose administration).

Best Wishes

I'm with Pellicle - Get a pill box!! It has made my life so much easier. I load it up every Sunday Morning and sit it next to my keys/wallet so I remember to have them before I walk out the door for work each morning. I also set a reminder for 7:20 and 7:30am just in case. Why? Kids... My alarm may go off while feeding one of them, changing a nappy etc. Basically it may go off at a time where I can't get to my pills right at that second.

I have missed one before simply because I got sidetracked and remembered 6 hours later (i had no alarm and pill box at this stage). I rang my GP and he said to just take it and continue as normal the next day.

i am using medisafe iphone app to keep track of my medicine. It also acts as a reminder. Allows you to sync with your pharmacy, keeps track of medicines. like it so far.

I take my warfarin, 81 mg aspirin and another pill before I go to bed. Because I'm taking three different medications, for me it's enough of an action that I remember doing it. If it was just one medication, it's probably easier to forget. But, for a few dollars, I think that I may finally break down and buy a small pill box, just for the warfarin.

Latest posts

Back