Minimum time between tooth extraction and AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plsflgood

Is there a limitation on how soon an AVR can be performed after a tooth has been extracted ? Does a pre-surgery extraction require antibiotics ?

We have had members here tell us of tooth extraction a day or two prior to surgery.
In your particular case, I would suggest you speak with your surgeon and dentist to coordinate what each thinks is best for you.

Both pre and post surgery, my dentist, cardiologist, PCP and surgeon all required me to have antibiotic cover for every trip to the dentist for any treatment whatsoever and they say I will do that for the rest of my life.

After a "standard" AVR, a period of three months is usually recommended before below-gumline dental work, which includes extractions. If the aorta or root is also replaced or modified in the surgery, it's generally extended to six months. The time is to be sure that the endothelium (internal skin) has healed, and new endothelial coverage has been completed over the areas of the aorta that have been worked on. The endothelium reduces the likelihood of infectious endocarditis or blood clots forming at the surgical sites.

If you haven't had the surgery yet, I would try to do it at least 30 days prior, in case some gum infection (rare) should show up and need to be treated. You wouldn't want to delay your surgery. Your cardiologists will most likely tell you to premedicate with antibiotics. If you're going to do that, it may be better to consider taking a longer course of antibiotics instead, with the prior approval of your surgeon and your cardiologist. Studies do not show that the one-time premedication usually given to valve patients actually prevents or lowers the occurrence of endocarditis. However, there is still some reason to believe that a longer, but still short antibiotic course (usually 3-6 days) might be more likely to keep it from happening. The odds of getting it are quite low, so while precautions do make sense, you shouldn't be overly worried about it happening.

Best wishes,

Thanks for your replies. Do you know what antibiotic regimen is recommended for the tooth extraction prior to the surgery ?

Latest posts

Back