Minimally invasive AVR- incision length poll?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivetopless

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Of those of you who have had what was described to you as a minimially invasive AVR (mini-sternotomy), how long was your scar?

I was expecting 3 or 4 inches for the scar. Today at preop I was talking to my surgeon's assistant, and I was told my scar would only be about 1.5-2 inches long. It will be longer at first, but will get shorter as it heals.

I am THRILLED if this is true.

I am only having AVR-- no aneurysms or bypasses or other things to repair while he is in there.

Would it be bad if I write with a sharpie pen on my chest "Neatness Counts"?

Had my surgery 7 weeks ago tomorrow, but my incision is about 4 inches long. Not sure if it will shorten as it heals. In the stage of itching pretty bad right now and chest muscles have been very sore. Dr told me that the mini-sternotomy will actualy make your chest heal slower, they have to spread the muscles farther apart to get in there.

My incision is just 4" long. I am pretty happy with that. I am 5 months post op and doing well except waiting to see if my a-fib comes back since I stopped my Multaq. Pat

I had the mini and it was 5" or so. They glued me back together (no staples). I just have a very faint white line now.You have to be looking for it to see it at all.

Yes, I'm thinking I will expect 3-5", so I won't be disappointed. That was the length my surgeon said before he had any CTA /x-ray data. Maybe his assistant was mistaken. I'll let you know either way.

I will probably get staples or stitches. I'm allergic to "superglue" which is the type I think they use to close incisions.

I got a full sternotomy with a mini-incision (4 inches). I was pleased with the smaller incision as the surgeon couldn't guarantee this prior to surgery.
It was a nice post-op surprise especially because I am small-framed. :)
Very best wishes,

"Neatness counts? " Cute. That reminds me of something that happened when I was readmitted to the hospital to be put on Sotalol for post-op A-fib/A-flutter: my surgeon came in to see me and saw the heart monitor stickers sprinkled across my chest and he moved one that was overlapping my very tidy, glued, 8" sternum incision, and told me to remind them to be more careful where they put those things so they didn't mess with his nice work. Such a nice doctor I had! Best wishes to you :)

Edited to add: My first heart surgery scar is 12 inches long, curving around and up my back, and is NOT so tidy!

Last edited:
Size of Scar

Size of Scar

Of those of you who have had what was described to you as a minimially invasive AVR (mini-sternotomy), how long was your scar?

I had a min. invasive AVR on Dec. 6 and my scar is 2 1/2 inches long. The dr. closed it with stitches that dissolved and fell out after a couple of weeks. I never had a problem with the incision and very little pain - no pain meds after the first day or 2 except Tylenol and something to make me sleep the first few nights. (Don't take stuff like that for long - it is HIGHLY addictive and hard to get off of without physical problems.) I was on the heart-lung machine several hrs but am not having any noticeable memory problems at this point. It's taking me awhile to get my energy back, but at 78 I'm not complaining. Started physical therapy last week and it's helping. I feel really good, am not having breathing problems any more and my ankles/feet have stopped swelling. Fantastic!

Mary in SC

Latest posts

Back