Mild Heart Attack

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Hi Everyone,
On Monday about 7:15pm I came home from work, and started having very bad crushing excruciating pains in both my arms. I tried to shake it off, thinking my arms were aching from all the yard work I had done over the weekend. I never gave a thought that I could possibly be having a Heart Attack! I called my sister instead of 911 and asked if her and her husband could to drive me to ER , because something was going on with my arms. It hurt to even touch them. Then I started getting a tightening in my chest and I was sweating. My sister and bro-in-law took me to ER where after all the admitting baloney, the doctors started giving me tests. They gave me morphine after about 3 hours because I was still in such pain. I had all the usual battery of tests, echos, chest xray, cat scan, ekg, many bloodtest. They finally put me on a nitro drip in an IV for a while. At about 7:45am the next morning, they were convinced I was having a heart attack and decided to do another Angiogram, even though I had just had one Aug 8th. Of course they are thinking they will have to put in a stent because I must have a blockage. There was no blockage, no plaque build up, nothing! Everything looked good so they didn?t do nothing. One of the problems they did see on the angio is that I have a small or deformed right artery? One cardio even thought it wasn?t there at all but the other two said, yes it?s there but very small. Conclusion? If I had a clot it must have dissolved as mysteriously as it came. They were worried about an aortic annerysm but they ruled that out with the scan. They kept me in there until Thursday morning and kept ordering more bloodtest as each doctor saw me. I became a pin cushion to say the least!

So I am now on three new drugs! Joy! Joy! Imdur, Prinivil and Lopressor. I?ve read the side effects so now I?m more scared than I was before. Can anyone who has been taking these drugs tell me how they effect you? I know everyone is different so I know my reactions (if any) may be different than yours. I?m just trying to get an idea. I do have the fact sheets and the cardio talked to me but there is nothing like the experience fellow valvers have gone through, to compare.
Until this year when I was put on Norvasc for high blood pressure, I didn?t have heart issues, only valve issues. This year is turning into a whole different lifestyle for me. I am angry, I?m frustrated but as I told myself this afternoon as I was bawling my eyes out, at least I still have my life. It?s not making it any easier to deal with at the moment, but I know it time I will accept it and move on. I am glad, though I don?t always get to post, I do try to lurk and see what is going on with the group and what is happening. For at least the next couple of weeks, I will be able to post, because I will be home. I go for a follow up with my cardio in 2 weeks.

So if anyone can give some of their experience with these drugs, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks!

Sorry to hear you had to go through this. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question about the drugs but hopefully somebody will come along shortly with some insights. Wishing you the best.

Dick has been on Lopressor since his AVR- 25mg./twice a day- no side effects or problems. Glad to read that there were no blockages and glad you had it all tested.

Lorraine, I'm sorry to hear about your attack....maybe too much yard work?
Regarding the meds: Lopressor is the name brand for Metoprolol and Toprol.
I take 60 mg per day of Metoprolol. It makes me a bit anxious and sometimes I have cold hands and feet.....otherwise, occasionally: mild insomnia, and some vivid dreams.

Low Rain! I'm sorry to hear you have been having more heart problems. I'm glad though that you are home and hopefully on the mend. I can't help you about the meds though. I've gone through a few low spots the last few months too and just want to encourage you that things should improve.....and later on you might have to say the same thing back to me. Oh well. My blessings still far outweigh anything else. Keep us posted and stay well!

Lorraine,
I am sure sorry to hear your news.
If Lopressor is the brand name for Toprol (as Bina wrote), then I had to come off it due to severe nightmares. I think that is a fairly uncommon side effect, but it is one to watch for.

Wayne: Thank you for your well wishes. Encouragement always helps.

Betty: Yeah! You would know me as Low Rain:D That makes me smile. I have been reading of your problems too, and have had you in my thoughts and prayers. Being able to have time to post has been another issue. Too much work and not enough hours in a day.:( I apreciate the uplift.

Phyliss: They have started me out on the same dosage Dick takes. Yeah, twice a day also. Yes, I'm glad there were no blockages and I did have it all checked out.

Bina: It's funny that you said too much yard work possibly
, because afterwards I was thinking that too.
At the time, I was just thinking the arms hurt because of the yard work, not that I was having an attack. You said you take 60mg a day, so I'm assuming it's 30 in the morning and 30 at night? They do have down I have to take it twice a day. I wonder if taking it at night has something to do with the vivid dreams. I've only been taking it for two days so far and of course when your in ICU , you don't get enough sleep to dream! :rolleyes:
Thanks for your inputs.

Beta blockers definitely cause vivid dreams. I only take 25 mg a day (12½ mg twice a day) and I have very vivid dreams.

It was nice to hear your voice Lorraine. Enjoyed our chat. Keep the chin up. You will get to the bottom of all of this soon enough;)

Looking forward to Sunday. If for some reason you are not feeling up to it......we will find another time. Health first! Get some rest.

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}:)

Oh, Lorraine ... very very sorry.

Thoughts/prayers coming your way, as you already know, I'd bet ;).

Cort:34swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.lego.HO.model.MCs.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" ... Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers ... 'Broken Lady'

Mary, Adrienne you two are scaring me with these vivid dreams. Last thing I need is nightmares. Maybe I should be taking sleeping pills too! I will be careful that's for sure. The first bad dream I have I will talk to my cardio. Right now I'm so agitated about all that happened this week, I could have a doozy of a bad dream so lets hope it doesn't effect me that way.

Gina: It was great to talk to you too. You did get me to calm down some and laugh. Better than the crying jag I was doing earlier. If anything changes I will let you know, otherwise I'll see you, Cort and anyone else that shows up Sunday.

Cort: I knew when you read this thread, you would know what I was talking about. Thanks for the prayers.

Again, as we always are saying, we turn to our valve
family for answers, encouragement and prayers. It has really made me feel better just getting online and posting and talking about what was going on. I"m not kidding, when I got home today I spent a good couple of hours just crying. I should have gotten online right away for the answers and words of encouragement. Thanks!

You know how to throw in a surprise. So sorry to read of your new heart issues. I know you can get this one figured out and managed as well. It just stinks that you are having to deal with it.

Best wishes!

Hi Lorraine

Sooo sorry to read your post. I'm hoping everything works itself out quickly and you're back to normal really soon. I can't help you out with the drugs you mentioned, but know that someone here will be able to.....without a doubt.

Evelyn

HI Lorraine
I hope today finds you a bit better. I feel your distress at what happened this week and certainly think you should allow yourself to be ticked off. Treat yourself to something special to balance your emotional ledger. The Lopressor gave me the vivid dreams. Sorry not good vivid. I guess my thought is if you lived all this time with a tiny artery why the three new meds. Do the doctors feel these meds will make the artery grow. My blood pressure is normally low so the lopressor bottomed me out. Make sure you get it checked often until you see how you do on it.
Kathleen

Hey Low Rain,
I am sorry to hear this news. I take a 12.5 mgs of lopressor twice a day and have not had any problems with it so far.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lorraine-

So sorry to hear this, but "mild" seems to be a good word, and I hope that any damage is very tiny, and you recover well.

Joe was on Imdur for many years. I don't recall anything unusual with it. Maybe some flushing at first, since it opens up your blood vessels, but it calmed down after a while. It did help him tremendously. He took it for his Pulmonary Hypertension.

I am one of those people who is ultra sensitive to meds. My BP is normally very good, but I need the med to take care of some arrythmias. I have a BP machine at home and check often enough.
My med dose is 25 mg in the morning, 12.5 in the afternoon, 6 mg after dinner, and 12.5 at bedtime.....I know it's weird, but it is working for me.

Hey Low Rain,

Was shocked to read your post last night and what happened to you this week. Knowing you personally I know you will wrestle yourself through this trial like you did with your double (or was it tripple) valve replacement. Just know that I am thinking of you and will say a prayer on your behalf.
I am also ultra sensitive to any prescription drugs and avoid them like the plague. Be careful!

Hugs coming your way,

Back