mild aortic root dilation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlkyle

Hello it's Julie, Kyle's mom again...

My two year old Kyle has BAV and last year his aortic root was on the high end of normal at 1.7cm. Three weeks ago his echo revealed his aortic root was now "mildly dilated" at 2.07cm. His "bulging" grew 0.37cm in one year. If it continues to grow at this rate every year...he will need OHS in three to five years....Am I right to assume this?

Help?????????????

I don't think it is as cut and dry for growing babies children, his aortic root is larger, but how much larger is he and his heart ect. it is all relative, unlike adults who everything else is staying the same size, but the aorta is getting bigger.

ps Mild is good, people go their entire life with mild

never thought of it that way

never thought of it that way

Wow...

I never thought of it that way...his little aortic valve may just grow to catch up w/ the aortic root dilating...right? Hopefully...

Thankyou again Lyn for being there...

Wow...

I never thought of it that way...his little aortic valve may just grow to catch up w/ the aortic root dilating...right? Hopefully...

Thankyou again Lyn for being there...

I don't know that his aortic valve would catch up, but since his entire body and heart were much smaller a year ago, it would make sense as he grows every part would be bigger, so the size of his aortic root compared to his heart, aorta ect might not be much different than it was a year ago, even tho it IS bigger. Which is why there is no magic number for size (like 5.0 in an adult) for children and you can't guess when if ever he will need surgery, each child really is different. Which is why mild is good

Latest posts

Back