Metoprolol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. Metoprolol began to have annoying effects (e.g. dizziness upon standing) after surgery for me. I was taken off the medication about week 6. I have a mechanical valve. From what I've read, they give it after surgery kind of to "keep things calm" but after awhile it's not needed for many.

I stopped taking it well over a year ago with no problems. I never really had high blood pressure and it was prescribed by my cardio as a precaution. I was the same as Tom and had the dizziness when standing and all around sluggish feeling. I just stopped taking it and told my cardio after the fact. I keep a good watch on it and take my BP daily just to keep an eye on it..

I don't have a mechanical valve, and I doubt that the type of valve you have makes much difference in whether or not you can discontinue metoprolol. I've been taking metoprolol since my surgery - just over 4 years now. My cardio says that he wants me to take a beta blocker indefinitely, to help my heart beat fully, etc. I had some complications after surgery, and he feels this is necessary. We have, however, reduced my dosage over the years. We first reduced it from 100 mg/day to 50, and eventually to 25 mg/day. This seems to work for me. It keeps my heart rate down within an acceptable range (I'm 67 years old and my heart rate normally stays within the range of 60 to 150 beats per minute), yet doesn't give me the side effects I complained about. I used to get bloating and felt like I was dragging a sled full of rocks around all day. Not bad now.

If you had trouble keeping your heart rate down after surgery, or if you suffered from tachycardia (heart rate too fast), then they will likely want you to stay on a beta blocker to manage it. If side effects bother you, you can discuss your dosage with your cardio, or maybe even discuss an alternative med.

I echo what epstsn said...similar for me. I was at 50mg daily but am down to 25mg/day. Hope to get off of it. We (me and the cardiologist) are weaning it down slowly Metoprolol and Coversyl (ACE Inhibitor drug) both work to actually help your EF as well. My heart beats regular but my EF is on the low side of normal at 55%. So, we're taking it slowly. Sure hope to get off of it...not always the nicest drug for some people.
Tony

It's commonly prescribed after heart surgery, as there's evidence that it does reduce mortality. Whether you stay on it (or any other drug) is a conversation you need to have with your cardio.

Personally, I'm still on the metoprolol, but I was on BP meds before surgery.

big_L;n854489 said:
It's commonly prescribed after heart surgery, as there's evidence that it does reduce mortality. Whether you stay on it (or any other drug) is a conversation you need to have with your cardio.

Personally, I'm still on the metoprolol, but I was on BP meds before surgery.
My HR was on the high side post surgery, up around 100 when it was usually 55 to 70, but I wasn't put on any beta blockers which I found a little odd. Perhaps it was because my BP was a little low ,around 100/55. I was on beta blockers the year between my BAV/aneurysm discovery and my surgery but that was strictly due to my cardios concern over my aneurysm and not anything to do with my BP.

I took 25 mg 2x/day for 3 months, then 12.5mg 2x/day for 3 more months, then stopped. I had no BP issues pre-op nor post-op. Surgeon told me I needed to give my heart muscle a chance to repair itself after the strain of working through BAV with stenosis. I didn't have any issues with metoprolol. My resting hr pre-op was about 60. Six months post-op it was about 88. One year post-op it's about 78-80.

Latest posts

Back