Metoprolol generic for Lopressor

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponytaila1a

I had a "funny" experience today. Sweating.....funny feeling in my head (not really dizzy)........someone suggested that 50MG of Lopressor twice per day may be making my Blood Pressure low. I will search....but wondered if anyone has a quick comment. Thanks

I think that is a possibility, Jennifer. Do you have a home BP monitor? If not, it's a good thing to have. I see them in drug stores, wal-marts etc -- they're not terribly expensive. When my wife had a mini-stroke last summer, was glad to have the BP monitor on hand -- it helped us decide to go to the ER -- her BP was sky-high. My own BP gets pretty low sometimes because of meds -- which is the intended effect, my docs have told me.

Different people have different reactons to different drugs. What works great for one may not work well at all for another. If you need a BP medication, there's no reason not to find one that works for your own, unique chemistry. That said, there is often a break-in period with new BP meds that can last a few weeks, during which mild side effects may surface and then fade.

Beta blockers are often used to soften the beat of the heart after OHS and lower the incidence of arrhythmias. It will also lower your blood pressure. If your blood pressure wasn't high to begin with, that may become a problem for you.

It's easy to check your blood pressure with the automatic cuffs available now (Omron is a good brand). It makes sense to have one on hand and use it to keep track.

Best wishes,

Jennifer, it could very well be the BP meds.
My first night at home was scary and I sent my daughter out to buy a BP monitor at the pharmacy.
I was able to read and record my BP readings, so that when I called my doc he approved a decrease in my meds.

I had the same problem right after surgery, I was taking 50 mg but my heart rate went down into the 30's and almost passed out, not a good feeling. So they cut it in half and was much better after that.
God bless,

im on 25 mg of it and i too have occasional hot flashes.. i was thinking it was the anesthesia wearing off or the pain meds?...interestingly im thinking my 25 mg is not wnough though because my heart is still pounding and about80-90 bpm.

you should take your bp daily and keep a diary of it. use the arm one, not the wrist one. I found that my bp had dropped and my med was making it too low. don't know why the drop but it continues so I am not on a bp med now.

Jennifer, I asked the surgeon about a week in to switch me back to Toprol XL (50mg once a day) from lopressor (25mg twice a day) and that seemed to help me. My BP was a little lower with the lopressor, but more importantly seemed to jump around more each time I tested it with my monitor. My BP has been a lot steadier with Toprol -- I think the slower release of a once-a-day pill helps. Do they have you on lasix too? That drug made me very dizzy and I was glad when they got me off it.

I take Toprol XL 25 2 times a day when I remember the second dose. I thought Metoprolol was the generic for Toprol. Jennifer you are only a few weeks past your surgery so you will probably get all kinds of symptoms. Call your Cardio or Surgeon and tell them about symptoms that bother you. A BP machine is a good thing to have. The correct way to take BP is 3 times wait 5 minutes after 1st time to take 2nd and 5 minutes after 2nd to take 3rd.
Take care

Before surgery I had a similar problem and actually right after surgery. Both times they had me on 50 mg of Metoprolol twice a day. My blood pressure was fine before surgery and I was taking it o keep my heart rate down because of A-fib. At 100 mg a day, my blood pressure was dropping into the 80s-90s over 60s. The way I was able to track this in order to know that I needed a lower dose of my meds was with a home BP monitor. So it could be the meds but things are different for everyone. Definitely keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys. I will look into getting a monitor....hope it's easy to use as I am pretty bad with medical devices (never ask if I have a fever) My BP is around 110 over 70.....my heart rate is around 70 to 75. My heart rate before the drug was at 110 to 120 thus the RX when I was discharged. I only had the one episode so I think I will keep the diary just a bit longer and then call the surgeon's office.

Get a Omron bp machine. They are supposed to be the best. Get one for the upper arm do not get one that measures the wrist, as they are not accurate. Its really easy to use.

Back