Met with the surgeon today....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninsd

I met Dr. Adamson today and we discussed my options regarding my aortic aneurysm and aortic valve regurgitation. He said the regurgitation was quite severe and that my aorta now measures about 53mm. Ho brought up the last echo on his screen while I was there and showed me the various bits and pieces. Aorta has been measuring 48-49mm up to now. He said that one option was to wait another six months and do another echo so apparently this is not an emergency. I have tentatively scheduled surgery for the first part of November so I can still make a planned trip in October. The other possibility was Sep 18, two weeks from tomorrow, but that would be cutting it close for a trip starting Oct. 16th or so so I am opting to wait until November. At my age (67 or 29 I forget which) a tissue valve is the order of the day - it's my preference anyway. The exact valve will depend on what he finds when he gets in there for a close look. Dr. Adamson also told me that I would most likely feel a lo better after getting this fixed - more energy etc.

I think the first of November date sounds like a good one. There's been quite an increase in the size of the aorta since your previous echo, so I can understand your not wanting to wait another six months. Best wishes going forward. Mary

John, I also had moderate to severe aortic regurgitation and root measurement of 48/49 mm for several years before it "ballooned up" to 57mm in a little moe than a year. I'm very thankful I was able to have valve-sparing surgery and even though I still have some regurgitation I don't expect to have another surgery, but the possibility exists. Will your surgeon attempt valve-sparing?

Thanks for the info Garserin - I'll call and ask about valve sparing. I had it on my list of questions but still managed to forget to ask.

Still waiting for an answer from Dr. Adamson's office about the possibility of repair rather than replace - he wasn't available when I called of course but the lady who answered the phone promised to send him the question. He does do valve repairs according to the info I've found online but as he never mentioned the possibility during our interview I'm inclined to believe it's not viable in my case for some reason - maybe the leaflets are just too far gone. It is a trileaflet valve according to the results of the TEE that was done about 3 years ago.

Meantime, back at the ranch, I'm planning a trip with my RV to Death Valley and then to Lake Mead for some kayaking (flatwater, low effort paddling). I should get home a few days before surgery, currently loosely scheduled for early November.

Latest posts

Back