Met My Surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Travler

Hello all:
The words of encouragement I have received has meant so much to me. As I read the many posts of pre and post-op experiences I was able to get a better understanding of what I face. Also, I was able to make a list of questions, some of which I would never have thought of on my own.
Wednesday, my wife and I drove down to Atlanta To Emory University Hospital for pre-op and to meet with the surgeon, Dr. Joe Craver. What a friendly group of people, and so willing to take time to answer all our questions.
I found out that Dr Craver has performed over 5000 valve surgeries and is a professor. He specializes in valve repair. He said there was about a 60% chance of repair on my Mitral Valve.
But we discussed replacement in the event repair was not possible. We felt that if needed a mechanical vlave would be the best alternative for me.
He uses the St Jude or another one, the name of which I have forgotten.
He said that even though I did not know I had this problem until a month or so ago, I have had it for several years and it has only gotten worse. So now is the time to fix it! He said after I recover, I should feel better than I have in the past couple of years, and that is great news!
My wife and I felt very comfortable with Dr Craver and have confidence he will do a great job. They put me in the 98% success bracket.
So the surgery is just a week away and I am ready for it.
We have friends all over the world and emails have been coming in from them to say they are praying for us. What an awsome thing to have people around the globe caring about your health and well being.
So I have peace and faith that we are looking at a much brighter future.
Thanks to all of you.
John

John - Great to see you met your surgeon. It is a great feeling to know you are in good hands. I never got to meet my surgeon and it left me a bit insecure when I went for surgery. Good luck and keep in touch.

John

John

I am a Georgia girl :D and had mine done at St. Joseph's...almost 6 months now. The Atlanta traffic is awful..know your family will be wanting a motel near Emory..We were lucky..one across the parking lot. Good luck. Bonnie

Thanks for the post in my post op area.
You sound like a whitewater kind of guy and this thing came up on you about as fast actually in my limited experience you hear the whitewater long before it has to be run. I have been home three days now, a week ago my aortic was replaced with a St. Jude, today I had to go have blood drawn for the warfarin adjustments and walked around Sam's afterward getting a few supplies. I am tired tonight but will tell you it is better than the 2 or 3 weeks before. Anxiety and fear of the unknown are worse. I have even called myself "wimpy" because many here have had so much worse.

As my surgeon says "This is a big surgery and there are risks" but the stats are way on your side and as Al and Ron have both told you and me "Think about the alternative". These surgeons don't do this unless they know it is necessary. You are in good hands, sound confident in the team and must be a "full steam ahead" guy. My thought and prayers go with you and while I am really a newbie here myself, I tell you. THESE ARE SOME OF THE MOST CARING AND SHARING FOLKS I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED.

All the best,

Bill

John-

You sound confident and at ease after meeting your surgeon. That's good to hear. Keep thinking of your recovery phase and how in the very near future, you'll be feeling better and better. Plus it will give you back your life.

Take care,

John,

It sounds like things have come together well for you. I felt that having confidence in and liking my surgeon really helped me deal with the inner doubts and fears we inevitably have in the weeks and days before surgery. And it's good too that your wife met Dr. Craver; she'll probably feel more comfortable for it on the big day.

In addition to wishing you the best next week, I just wanted to mention that, although I did not have my heart surgery at Emory, I was in Emory Hospital for a few days about ten years ago for a semi-surgical procedure and was mightily impressed. All the doctors, and especially the heart doctors, are tops - you will be in very good hands. Everybody I came into contact with was friendly, helpful, and extremely professional. The place is really well run; there was no waiting around for things to happen, the rooms were nice, and even the food was good. When I left, it almost seemed as if I'd spent a weekend at a fine hotel with a remarkably attentive staff - well, not quite, but it was an unusually pleasant experience as things medical go.

Good luck - I am confident things will go well.

LKC

AVR - January 2002

Hello John and welcome aboard. This is a wonderful site, with many caring and super knowledgeable people. It sounds as though you are well on your way......so to speak. I think the most difficult part we went through when my husband had his AVR was not knowing when, who, where, etc. It felt as though we were in limboland. Once that fell into place, we were both ready and wanting to get it over with and move on.

If you have any questions anyone on this site can help you with, just post and someone or everyone will answer them. This is a great group of people and you are among friends. We will definitely put you in prayers.

Again, welcome aboard.

Evelyn and Tyce (AVR, St. Jude's Mechanical 6/26/02)

hi john!
welcome to this wonderful site. it has been my saviour this last year and a half!
sounds like you will be in good hands this coming week. also, meeting and feeling good about your surgeon was_ to us_ a very big deal. we felt so comfortable and confident in him, it eased that share of worries.
wishing you all the best next week. we will be thinking of you.
please, if you can, have your wife or someone post to let us know how things went, ok?
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back