Mental/Brain function

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffp

I'm 10 day post MVR with St Jude and slowly catching up with life. I realize from reading the postings here that my mental fogginess is common at this point, but my spelling is awful. I've had to recorrect about 10 times so far in this post. Also I went to write out some directions today in longhand and I had to actually form the letters one at a time in deliberate fashion. My handwriting looked like it did in 3rd grade! Kinda freaked me out. Anyone have this happen and hopefully it went away with time. (I'm going to wear out my backspace key! This is ridiculous!) Thanks.

I bet you are still taking some drugs - and are still under the influence of those they gave you in the hospital. Don't worry, this will pass in time. It takes awhile for them to leave your body and after all, you have been through the test of fire with this surgery. Others will be along to confirm what I have said here.

All sorts of strange things can happen. I woke up from a nap, about a month after my surgery, and couldn't remember my address, what day it was or anything except my children's and husband's names. It took about 1/2 hour before things became un-fuzzied.

Jeff, welcome to VR.com.

Absolutely normal symptoms you described for post OHS. These will clear up in time. Try to find the humor in them and you will deal with it better.

I had a lot of problems for the first few weeks trying to say the words my mind was forming. I would think one thing and something totally unrelated would come out of my mouth. My S/O & I still laugh about it 11 years later.

Keep a smile on, things will get better.

Oh

Oh

you can see the effect on me in my signature post op..lol..looks like a forgery.. :p I saw some a few months later and thought 'did I do that?" I actually laughed about it.. :D ,it will get better.Love the pup

Doesn't it suck to know what you want to write, but it doesn't come out that way? :) Oh but do I ever know what your talking about. Yes it's normal and it's not fun at all.

Your system is still reeling from some pretty powerful opiates. You may even still be taking one for pain. Certainly, it takes time to shake the residue.

You may also be experiencing what is called "pumpheadedness," which refers in a general way to a host of mildly brain-altering things that can happen in your time on the pump during OHS. This could include such things as tiny particles from your calcifications spreading out in your circulatory system and brain, or temporary anoxia, which can occur if the brain is warmed back to normal temperature too fast.

It does get better, but I still have days where I can't type a cohesive sentence. I know what I was thinking, but it looks like I dictated it to a 4-year-old to type.

Best wishes,

Thanks for the reassurance. I was on bypass mode for about 10 hours. Originally had a valve repair but the tissue shredded and had to redo the whole thing with the replacement. Haven't been on pain meds since day 4. Got really wierd headed and had terror attacks while coming down from the narcotics. The achiness was much easier to live with than the panic. Hopefully the head will gradually complete it's reboot sequence.

You done been zapped with static electricity across your memory modules. It'll take a bit yet.

jeffp said:
Thanks for the reassurance. I was on bypass mode for about 10 hours. Originally had a valve repair but the tissue shredded and had to redo the whole thing with the replacement. Haven't been on pain meds since day 4. Got really wierd headed and had terror attacks while coming down from the narcotics. The achiness was much easier to live with than the panic. Hopefully the head will gradually complete it's reboot sequence.

I was on bypass a long time too. I still go behind myself and double check things on a routine basis. I have caught a few errors and now pay attention to that little feeling that warns me something might not be quite right. I think the bypass time did affect me but it has caused me to develop some good habits as well. I have made a point of not procrastinating and have paper and pen handy to make myself notes. It will be two years this August since I had MVR and my concentration sometimes still seems a little weak but for the most part things are back to normal.

Latest posts

Back