Memories of Katrina 5 years ago...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Praline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I remember going to work that Friday not even worried about THAT storm, it was heading toward Florida. I came home Friday after school and it was coming toward us. We had an appointment at the vet Saturday morning. We did not dare leave before because if we went to a hotel, the dogs may need proof of having all their shots. So we took the dog to the vet Saturday morning then left for Missouri. It took us about 10 hours for a distance that would normally take us about an hour and a half. We stopped in Memphis for the night then the next day we went to Fredericktown, Missouri, and stayed in a motel there. I will always remember getting a room on the second floor and our Springer Spaniel would not climb the stairs. At 50 pounds he is way too heavy to carry.I had to go back to the office and ask for a room on the first floor because our dog did not like stairs. lol

After Ketrina hit, we spent a few days wondering if we still had a house. About a week and a half later we were allowed back in this area. We got home to a jungle in the back yard from all the neighbors' trees. House was fine, no leaky roof. But there was nothing up and running, no sewage, no store, no electricity, no place to buy gas.I also found out that the school where I was working had been under water for 3 days. My husband and I looked at each other and decided to head for Massachusetts where my family is. We spent almost a month there wondering if I still had a job.

But I was very lucky. I still had a house and a job. I never missed a days pay.Everyone working for that school system was paid right through until we went back to work in the middle of October. Even though we had 6 schools before Katrina and we were now down to 3, everyone had a job. Everyone was SO nice and helpful. Several teachers from TeachersNet sent books, supplies, gift cards to the book store. You have no idea how appreciative all our teachers were. Some had lost everything, both at home and at school.

But the trouble had just started as far as I was concern. In November after Katrina, I was diagnosed with mitral valve problems and had open heart surgery in January. Six months later my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Eight months later, he was gone. When I remember the time right before Katrina, I think of the last time we were together without a very dark cloud hanging over us.

Duffey,
We evacuated to Fredricktown for Katrina but I had not been on this site yet. I just found this site when I was diagnosed with mitral valve regurgitation after Katrina.
Praline

Latest posts

Back