Meeting Surgeon on Wednesday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dodger Fan

I'm meeting Dr. John Tyner in La Jolla, CA (San Diego) on Wednesday to discuss my AVR. My cardiologist wanted me to have a CT scan. They called today to tell me the insurance company denied it. He told me it was to check for blockages in my arteries. I am assuming they check so they can clear them during the surgery, since they will have me cut open anyway. Looking forward to getting this over with,.

I had a CT angiogram prior to surgery - this was the preferred option since the cardiac cath carries a certain risk as it's invasive whereas CT angiogram isn't invasive apart from injection of dye during the procedure. The CT angiogram checks for blockages etc

I had the heart cath to check for blockages and they found one 70% and did a bypass souring my OHS. Later I had a carotid scan to check for blockages in those arteries. All normal procedure. No one wants surprises during surgery.

Like you I was ready to get it over with and now that I have it is wonderful being on the other side. Hang in there. It will be fine.

I had the cath, too; not CT. There were no blockages. I'm sure as has been said. you will be checked thoroughly. And being on the other side is indeed wonderful. Wishing you all the best; it should be fine.

I had a cardiac cath. They had to be sure about the valve needing replacement and since it did, if there were any major blockages, it would determine how they opened me up. If there were blockages, I would have had some by-pass stuff done too. If I didn't need a valve replacement and there were blockages, they would have put stents in. It really is the ultimate to seeing everything that is going on.

I was feeling pretty optimistic. Now I feel stressed out. I'm sure it will come and go. Something life changing is about to happen. Will I make the right valve choice? I know it's better than the alternative but human brains let weird thoughts in.

Hi

Dodger Fan;n860945 said:
I was feeling pretty optimistic. Now I feel stressed out. I'm sure it will come and go. Something life changing is about to happen. Will I make the right valve choice? I know it's better than the alternative but human brains let weird thoughts in.

its the jitters ... best option is to just put it out of your mind and focus on the things you otherwise need to do.

It'll be history soon enough :)

On a lighter note... I know that a friend of mine (kindergarten through high school/ we're 38 now) is a respiratory therapist at the hospital where my surgery is happening. I learned this from Facebook. I took a chance and asked if she knew the surgeon. She not only knows him but had nothing but praise for him. She told me she was going to make sure they took care of me as well.

The hospital is about 100 miles from our hometown. Kind of a small world. Southern California is crowded but I still run into old friends.

Glad your friend spoke highly of the surgeon and gave you some reassurance. It will all be over before you know it and you'll be on the road to recovery. Baby steps.

I had both also, catheter and cardiac ct scan a few times each. With the cardiac ct they will inject a contrast dye into your veins and it will burn from your head to your toes for a few seconds. The scan only takes about a minute and your done.

I'm sold on Dr. Tyner. I am 99.9% sure I am going with a mechanical valve. I got to hold a St. Jude valve today. I had only seen pictures before. He advocated home INR testing which made me like him even more. They are working on getting the CT scan approved and discussing whether or not to do an angiogram as well. The scheduler will call tomorrow and I am going to ask for the 1st opening in January for the surgery. He said it was not an emergency but he would not recommend waiting another 4 months. He also told me no more running. So the plan is to do the tests before the holidays and the surgery right after the holidays.

Dodger Fan, I'm happy as can be with my mechanical valve. Dec. 18 is my 1 year anniversary. Everything seems to be going good so far. It will take you a while to get use to the Warfarin and get your inr stabilized but it will all come together in due time. As far as the ticking sound, it beats the alternative which is not clicking and bar an infection or thrombosis the valve will last me until I die of natural causes or get shot by a jealous husband at the age of 99, whichever comes first. :)

Latest posts

Back