Medtronic B.S.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah Randy, I forgot to tell you about my days of measuring the vit k I had in each and every meal because you know, you have to restrict your vit k intake now. You can't have those nice green veggies anymore like you used too. You know what, that did nothing but screw me up even more. That's when I said poohey and started eating everything I wanted to and as much of it as I wanted, then adjusting the dose to match that diet and not dieting the stinking dose I was on.

Now whenever someone asks about a vit k content chart, I tell them immediately, use for reference only. Do not try to use it to gauge your meals with as it does not work.

Wand is waved for alcohol - I am drinking a glass of wine as I type this (well, I did put the glass down to type) :D :D :D . I drink a glass of wine (or 2) 2 or 3 times a week and have a Baileys now and then as well.

Smoking is another thing - smoking is a pet peeve of mine and I won't let my wand work on that one.;) ;) ;)

Randy, as Gina said, your question is a good one. And as Gina and Ross both said, it's experience that talks. Someone might come along and say that maybe the advice found here crosses the realm into diagnosing and treating, but what we do here is tell of our experience and what we found to be true and not to be true. Your experience with your epidurals is going to be useful information for warfarin users. I'm sorry you have to go through it, but you are blazing a trail - small comfort, I know.:(

Some of us are going to be putting together a thread on the main things that would be helpful or important for new Coumadin users to know. I myself, always worry when a new person comes on because I think "What have they been told?" So if anyone using Coumadin has suggestions for things to include, please PM me with them. This thread will then be one that can be referenced for new members and we don't have to sound like broken records and continually reinvent the wheel.

geebee said:
Wand is waved for alcohol - I am drinking a glass of wine as I type this (well, I did put the glass down to type) :D :D :D . I drink a glass of wine (or 2) 2 or 3 times a week and have a Baileys now and then as well.

Smoking is another thing - smoking is a pet peeve of mine and I won't let my wand work on that one.;) ;) ;)

I used to have a glass of red wine almost every night. Then about a year ago I started feeling like I was waking up the next morning with a hangover. So I've switched to Rum (Capt. Morgan's) and Diet Coke w/ Lime. I dont' have one every night, it doesn't have the health benefits of red wine :mad:.

My husband and I made Long Island Iced Teas this weekend, WOW! INR yesterday was 3.4 Alcohol doesn't really affect my INR and I don't drink enough of it to be concerned with ulcers (if I had them) bleeding.

What a bunch of light weights. I used to do a fifth of Rum a day. Now were talking about some heavy duty drinkin. Still amazes me that I'm alive at all.

Ross said:
What a bunch of light weights. I used to do a fifth of Rum a day. Now were talking about some heavy duty drinkin. Still amazes me that I'm alive at all.

Thats some hard core drinkin right there! Only a half gallon a week of Jack for me, was toasted nicely most evenings only burnt once in a while. I just might have to buy me a little tomorrow, especally since I started my first day of coumadin fasting before my final epidural on Monday, gotta keep the blood flowin somehow:D

Okay- stop it!

Okay- stop it!

RandyL said:
Thats some hard core drinkin right there! Only a half gallon a week of Jack for me, was toasted nicely most evenings only burnt once in a while. I just might have to buy me a little tomorrow, especally since I started my first day of coumadin fasting before my final epidural on Monday, gotta keep the blood flowin somehow:D

You kids run along now and go boozing, while I sit here by myself, sipping tea.:(

All-
I knew it was a bad idea for me to get involved with this post, but for some reason I did it anyway. I won't exacerbate things by arguing further.

MikeHeim said:
All-
I knew it was a bad idea for me to get involved with this post, but for some reason I did it anyway. I won't exacerbate things by arguing further.

Just what is it your argueing about Mike. Opinions are welcome, thats why it is a forum. We all learn from each other. I am never afraid to hear another ones views, heck sometimes I even change my thoughts based on them.;)

RCB said:
You kids run along now and go boozing, while I sit here by myself, sipping tea.:(
Hey pal, that's USED TO drink like that. Not anymore. Now if I just start to put a buzz on, I'm eating something right away to make it go away.

Pushing tissue,overstocked?

Pushing tissue,overstocked?

Maybe they were overstocked with tissue valves and wanted to move product.

How does anyone know whether or not they can/cannot tolerate anti-coagulation for life until they have been exposed to it? Once it's part of a life-style there is no choice.

That's my two cents worth.

Cheers

Ross said:
After further reading, I have a beef with this too:

Reasons for Choosing a Mechanical Valve
___ I’m 65 years old or younger
___ I’m not pregnant and I’m not trying to become
pregnant.
___ I can tolerate daily anticoagulant medication for life
___ I don’t have a high-risk occupation
___ I don’t participate in high-risk sports
Reasons for Choosing a Tissue Valve