Medtronic Aorta Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David L

For 3 years I was monitored for a leaky aortic valve, and an ascending aorta aneurysm. When the aortic root reached 5.7 cm my cardio told me it was time for a change. He sent me to Stanford because of their work with Marfan patients, although I didn't have Marfans. Dr. R. Scott Mitchell installed a Medtronic Freestyle Porcine valve on August 5th of 2008. This valve consists of the native pig valve, ascending aorta and coronary artery stubs, all in one piece. It was a 7.5 hour operation!

I have not seen this valve mentioned on this forum, and was looking for a history as far as longevity on this valve. I just had my first 6 month echo, and all was fine with the valve. I still have an enlarged LA, but was told it will remodel in time. Due to this enlargement I have had 2 bouts of A-fib, but was brought back to sinus rhythm with Amiodarone----a drug I don't care for, but that's another story!

My question is are there any more Freestyle Medtronic valves out there, and any history on them would be appreciated!

This is a popular valve and had been talked about many times in this forum.

Please use the SEARCH feature in the blue line at the top of the page. Search > Advanced Search > enter "Freestyle" in the text search.

There is so much out there on this site to see, it's a shame to only view what was mentioned this week or today.

Best wishes,

From one David L to another, you can just enter "Medtronic Freestyle" in the Search doohickey upstairs here and you'll get three pages of hits. I am a big believer in Medtronic valves since I have the stented Mosaic porky-pig version myself, and it works real well and my cardiologist predicts it will last more than 25 years, at which point I'll either be dead from something else or will have another valve put in with the vastly improved technology they'll be using in 2034 (stem cells, etc.). I also needed root repair so I'm not sure why they didn't put in the Freestyle. Maybe its reserved for cases involving problems further up the tube, as it were. Anyway, use the search feature, and good luck to you.

I have the freestyle :) and as far as I know, the valves have been in use in human patients for around 15 years. I had the Medtronic freestyle given to me by my surgeon simply because the stentless feature makes for a larger effective valve area and it will also sew in and heal well with scar and fragile BAV tissue.

As you can see in my signature I now own a full version freestyle with the aortic root as well: first to move the scar further along the outflow side of the valve and because I was beginning root dilation as well.

Take Heart, someone's 10 years could be someone else's re-op. I'm just happy I'm still living to see my kids moving into self-sufficiency.
Pamela.

medtronics freestyle valve is what my surgeon recommended and after I took everything into consideration I heeded his advice. the freestyle valve is the closest thing to a normal human valve as there is, and being stentless makes resurgery a bit easier and if percutaneous becomes the norm no problem there either.

Next Monday will mark the fourth anniversary of my receiving a Medtronics Freestyle aortic root/valve replacement (stentless). All's well for me so far. All best wishes to you. As the others have suggested, doing a vr.com search will yield a good bit of information about this device.

Hi David,

I also have the medtronics freestyle valve. I have had it since September 2008, so I am a newbie to it too. So far so good. I have my 6 month check up in March. I'll know more then.

I too was also given Amiodarone for a month after my a-fib, but as of now I am on no medication whatsoever. I like the valve, and I am happy with my choice.

Glad to hear your check-up went well :)

Erica

Hello David,
I am an Aortic Medtonic Freestyle recipient. June 20th 2007 is my valversary. All is going great so far. I am on daily low-dose aspirin. I also had A-fib after surgury. Don't remember what they used to fix it though. Love my valve, and would highly recommend it!

Hello D Langton,

Yes, I have a Medtronic Mosaic Ultra Porcine Valve (3rd generation). It's good to hear it may last that long. I certainly hope so! My surgeon said anywhere from 10 to 20 years. The cardiologist says 20 to even maybe 30 yrs. Of course I choose to believe the cardio. I'm 57 yrs, so by the time I need another surgery (provided I don't die from something else first) I do believe the technology will be greatly improved! In the meantime, I don't really think about it. I just live my life day by day, and try to make the most out of it.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back