Medication to lower heart rate?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomD

I am in atrial fibrillation and my heart rate is around 100-120 and the pounding in my chest is non stop. I am hoping the pounding will go away over time but I really want the heart rate to come down. I see my cardiologist on Friday and I was wondering what medications anyone has taken that did a great job of bringing the heart rate down. I am currently taking 120Mg of Diltizem (long acting) twice a day but wonder if there is something else that would be more effective?.

I am still on 400mg per day of Amiodarone and I am hoping that my cardiologist will take me off completely so I can go back to Tikosyn which worked well for 2 years prior to my surgery. I also had the ablation process during surgery so I am hoping I can get off all the stuff some day.

Does the return of your A-Fib mean that you are OFF the Amiodarone they gave you at the Hospital?

Beta Blockers are often prescribed.

One of the more common ones is Toprol or Toprol XL.
There are some others that I have forgotten.

Sotalol (Generic form of BetaPace) is supposed to 'target' A-Fib. The manufacturer (and some/most Doctors) recommend that you be hospitalized when starting this medication 'just in case' you develop a dangerous arrhythmia while your body 'adjusts' to the medication.

'AL Capshaw'

Tom...

Tom...

An Electrophysiologist along with my cardiologists blessing, recommended 400mg of Magnesium (daily) years ago right after my surgery. It might help -- can't hurt and it worked wonders for me right after surgery. I used to be on my soapbox about this, but haven't posted about it in ages. I'm a firm believer..!

Sorry to hear you are in AFib, I went through a couple of months of it, no fun. My "resting" HR was over 100 and skyrocketed if I did anything at all, like walk across a room. My cardio used the beta blocker atenol to control rate for me. I was on a ton of it, like 150 mg/day. I'm now on a 25mg maintenance dose. 1 yr post op, my resting HR is now down in the upper 70's and since cardioversion I've (knock wood) been in NSR.

I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Peace,
Ruth

I had nuisance a-fib prior to surgery...I had cardiac ablation done at the time of my AVR....I went into a-fib two weeks post op and was cardioverted (no big deal) and have not been in a-fib since....I was fortunate that the ablation seems to have worked....I am on Toprol XL (25mg/day) now but was on Amiodorone before AVR.....I did not and do not like Amiodorone....it has many possible nasty side effects....I realize it can be effective (it was not for me) but I also think it should not be the first choice to treat a-fib.

I asked my Cardio what the difference between beta blockers was and I believe he said that Metoprolol (Toprol) is faster acting than Atenolol. Do not take this statement as absolute truth as I am remembering a conversation from about two years ago. I am not at all familiar with Diltizem. As you know, Amiodarone is a very dangerous (albeit effective) drug that I strongly encourage you discuss with your Cardio about finding alternatives for.

I've been on metoprolol (Toprol) since my surgery to keep my heart rate down and knock some occasional arrhythmia.

I have been on atenolol for many yrs. Dr once switched me to Toprol but after a time, I asked to be switched back to atenolol and he did. Besides, his office said they are the same thing.

yesterday I was at cardio's office and told him my bp was down and could I drop a bp med. He said try leaving off atenolol but to remember it slows down the heart and I should monitor both bp and heart rate at home and if the heart rate went up, we would revisit. Atenolol also makes you tired, and he confirmed this yesterday.

Here in vr after comparing notes, we discovered many of us have vivid crazy horrible dreams when we take atenolol - so I started taking mine in the morning and it helped in this area.

I take sotalol 40mg. twice a day and it was started while I was in the hospital. I am seven weeks post op and do have flutters now and then but very short ones. My cardio said I would be on it for about three months until the heart settles.. My heart rate is in the 60s.
Earline

If you cough or breathe real deep when you get the "flutters" does that help?

It sometimes does for me.

Latest posts

Back