Medicare Coverage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q

QAS

Hello everyone,

Medicare has announced coverage of home testing for anticoagulation management for individuals with mechanical heart valves. Part of the coverage decision involves the requirement that all patient results are reported to their physician. Q.A. Services, Inc. has developed an automated system that sends results to the physician. The results are sent to the physician electronically and are monitored for dosage adjustments.

The patient/physician relationship is very important and this program will continue provide a consistent line of communication. We are looking for patients and physicians who are involved with self-testing for anticoagulation therapy. We want your input and would like for you to participate in testing this new system.

Not everyone has a ProTime System and that is fine. This new program does not require a specific brand of monitor to utilize this service. Those who are interested can contact us by post or by phone at 800-298-4515. You can speak with Lance, Brian, or Mike Fine for more information.

Medicare Reimbursements/Home Monitoring

Medicare Reimbursements/Home Monitoring

Hi everyone,

I came across an interesting article in "CAP TODAY" (College of American Pathology) regarding Medicare reimbursements for protime home testing. To read it in full content, the URL is:

htp://cap.org/captoday/current/prothrombin_home_monitoring.html

Titled "Shortchanged: Dollars don't add up for prothrombin home monitoring".

In brief it states the CMS (Centers for Medicare/Medicaid Services) reimbursement guide took effect July 1st and requires physicians offices, clinics to buy the devices. CMS elected to cover the devices as a physician-directed diagnostic service, paid for under the physician fee schedule. It goes on, in length, to say the inadequate reimbursement will cause most physicians to feel "it's not worth the hassle and responsibility." Reimbursemet has been the No 1 barrier to home prothrombin time testing for years now.

So, kids..the statement that 'Medicare has approved' is great BUT..there's alot more to the story, if you are interested. My Lab tech at my hospital shares lots of journals with me..what a guy!!!! Since I have been on Workmans Comp disability (shoulder/neck/arm/hand problem) and it may lead into medicare disability, he knew I'd be interested in this article. I hope it's of some interest to some of you. Please forgive typos..Have to type 'right-handed'..hunt and peck..lol!

Zipper *~*

Many thanks, Zipper

Many thanks, Zipper

This is an excellent article and the site from which it came is also a good one. Sadly, this confirms my greatest fear...Medicare will muck this up so badly that few will benefit and others, like us will not sign-up for the benefits (which we have earned) because of the numerous regulatons and roadblocks. We paid for the monitor and will continue paying for the supplies....and thank heaven that we have the means to do so. Again, thanks for the information. I look forward to other articles which you may share.
Blanche

Latest posts

Back