Medical costs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

art

As I live in France and have no medical costs I would like to know what is the cost of OHS in the USA

It really depends on lots of things...what type of insurance, deductables, co-pays. Alot of factors. Im kinda scared to get my bill though...seriously.

'they' say without insurance it can be $100-$200K.

india/thailand/singapore/malaysia it runs $8-$10K.

I will have OHS surgery next year and I figure that I will spend about $2500 at most. I have also been able to choose to fly across country and use the cardiologist and surgeon that I trust. I will also be able to pick the date I want within reason. I have th BC/BS program that Obama was ranting about. I love the program that they over.

Debbie

My friend just had the Ross Procedure done in Knoxville, TN and the surgery and hospital stay was

around 152,000 US dollars and thats not including everything

Art,
From the bills I saw, my surgery and related tests were close to $250,000 USD. I am very lucky to have a very good insurance plan due to working at a large employer. That insurance company negotiated with the surgeon and hospital and probably paid 50-60% of that billed charges. Amazingly it took them one year to pay the surgeon. I paid around $3,000 for my deductible portion of the total. I would be either dead or broke if not for that insurance.

By the way BC/BS mentioned in previous replies is the abbreviation for Blue Cross/ Blue Shield, a very large US insurance carrier.

John

Yeah, i have BC\BS also.... So ill see.

It also depends what kind of plan you have. We've had BC/BS PPO for most of Justin's surgeries and probably paid less than 100 dollars,(we paid more for PARKING in most of the cases) which were the 20 dollar co pays. Even when we travelled or went out of network, IF that hospital was "in network" to the local BCBS, we didn't pay more than the usual co pay

Cost billed to my provider over 175K, I paid only my HMO co-pay, which was very little. I am fortunate to work for a large company with a good HMO.

Hello,

My husband is fortunate to have very good insurance with his company. We paid MAXIMUM $3,000 out of pocket. I chose the cardio I wanted. I chose my surgeon (one of the very best). I also CHOSE A DATE FOR SURGERY, WHICH WAS VERY PROMPT. My surgery was done at St. Lukes, in the Texas Medical Center. A hospital which is listed in the top ten.

Final question
Is there pressure from the Insurance C0. for patients to chose mechanical valves, to reduce the need for repeat surgery ?

Final question
Is there pressure from the Insurance C0. for patients to chose mechanical valves, to reduce the need for repeat surgery ?

Art,
My insurance company never asked a single question or provided any direct advice related to treatment and I am below the typical cut-off age for a tissue valve-which I received. I used only doctors and hospitals that were in their preferred providers even though I traveled >1000 miles from Colorado to Cleveland for surgery. My only interaction with insurance was when they sent information about bills they had paid. My experience was relatively painless with the insurance company, but I'm one of the lucky ones that has good insurance. If I was self employed or worked for a small company it would be different.

John

My out of pocket max is $2,000 for the year. My insurance company did not pressure me on hospital, procedure, valve choice, etc. I went mechanical for my own reasons. The insurance company did have certain allowances for a visiting nurse after the procedure. I've been allowed five visits. They take vitals, INR, etc.

While your procedure did not cost you anything out of pocket (other than your associated tax burden with your government plan), it did have costs. Do you even receive an itemized bill so you know what your government had to pay?

Did you experience any delays from diagnoses to treatment? How much choice did you have in terms of procedure or surgeon?

Latest posts

Back