Mechincal valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjb

Would I ever find a surgeon that would replace my mechanical artoic valve with a tissue valve I cannot stand the noise and vibration I'm going crazy with this has taken over my life and of course hear it will take time to get used how can when sounds worse the nails on a chalk board 24/7 days a week

How long has it been since your surgery?
How old are you?
Have you discussed the problem with your Cardio and/or Surgeon?
What's your weight and body build?
What valve do you have?

My valve sounded like hitting a ping-pong ball with a paddle for a period of time after surgery at age 31. After a few months the ping pong game could no longer be heard by me......or anyone else.

Last edited:
Would I ever find a surgeon that would replace my mechanical artoic valve with a tissue valve I cannot stand the noise and vibration I'm going crazy with this has taken over my life and of course hear it will take time to get used how can when sounds worse the nails on a chalk board 24/7 days a week
sure ... you'll find one.

Before you consider that have you considered hypnotherapy?

For some of us, it takes longer to get used to hearing this thumping. It probably was 2 years before I was able to go to bed and just fall asleep without thinking about my valve. Mine is noisy, like a basketball hitting a wood floor, but I carry on playing in orchestra and symphonic wind groups. Do I ever wish it was quiet and I didn’t have to hear it? Yes! Would I have a risky redo because of it, heck no!
Too bad tissue valves don’t last as long as mechanical. Each of us is different in how we accept the things that happen in life.

Don't focus too much on it -- it'll drive you crazy. You will adjust to it over time. Dick's questions are very important.

And, as others have advised, talk to your surgeon.

If it was me, and if I had a mechanical valve that bothered me like you say yours is, I'd consider the risk of having ANOTHER OHS just to replace a fully functional valve. If you've had the valve, your surgeon may have to deal with scar tissue around the valve, and may caution against the surgery.

Pellicle's advice about hypnotherapy is a good one - there may be ways to cope with it instead of choosing a surgical solution.

Yes, but I doubt that you'll be able to get insurance to pay for a surgery that you don't need. I suppose that you could go to Thailand and get it done for about $25k. If you pay them, I'm pretty sure that they will open you up and put in the valve of your choice.

But, I would advise against it. I would seek psychological counseling first. The vast majority adapt just fine to the noise. It also tends to decrease the further out you get from surgery. People have given some good advice, but you have not answered even basic questions from Dick about your age and how long it's been since your surgery. You sound young and it would seem as though you had your surgery not too long ago. Most report that the sound gets lighter over time and that they get used to it. I got used to mine. So, first you should seek psychological care and try to understand why it is bothering you so much.

Back