Mechanical Valve or Tissue Valve ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Superman;n872009 said:
I don't agree here. I'd go with the one I'm most comfortable with
agreed ... the words of the guidelines are "informed patient decision" ... if the patient decides they want X and the surgeon says Y then if you feel you still want X then go get it!

I mean why not? If you just go with what the surgeon says then where is the need to be informed ? Just sheep on along and take your medicine as given.

cldlhd;n872015 said:
Thanks for that Dick. I'm out working and it's around 15 degrees.

15 ... holy cow man ... that's freezing ... are you wearing gloves? There should be rules about this ... workplace health and safety ;-)

did you want your burger well done?
8280848186_59191b0257_z.jpg

dick0236;n872013 said:
Whoops, I assumed, from Shah4u post that he was asking about which "mechanical " to choose.

I stand corrected. I read the thread subject and not the particular post you were responding to. My fault.

I did, however, have a minor disagreement with my surgeon last time. I had inquired about On-X. Day of the surgery he says he couldn't get an On-X rep in, but can do an ATS. We had never discussed that option, and with surgery less than an hour away - I told him I wanted St. Jude. It's what I had for 19 years, and I didn't want to change. Might still be able to find my freak out post from the pre-op room on the board here!

He worked it out so that was good.

Paleowoman;n872014 said:
The make of valve, on the other hand, is surely something a patient cannot know which is best for them, unless they happen to be a cardiac surgeon themselves.

In some respects, all things being equal, I would speculate that surgeons will use whatever medical device manufacturer communicates best with them or that their hospital favors. A good medical sales person can be the difference between a St. Jude, OnX, and an ATS. The empirical data isn't all that different. But for me, I would have had a mental issue if they had gone through with the ATS instead of my trusted St. Jude.

I don't know how pellicle sleeps with that inferior product in his chest.

Superman;n872032 said:
I don't know how pellicle sleeps with that inferior product in his chest.

Well I tend to get up to do a pee about 2am these days...unless I stay up late and go to bed at 2am

Glad it's not plastic, that would never do

:)

(I assume you're horsing around)

pellicle;n872033 said:
Well I tend to get up to do a pee about 2am these days...

There you go. Proof ATS valves make you unable to sleep. It would also seem frequent urination is a side effect. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that.

Superman;n872034 said:
There you go. Proof ATS valves make you unable to sleep. It would also seem frequent urination is a side effect. Post hoc ergo propter hoc and all that.

My guess is that it has more to do with an "advancing age' than valve manufacturer.........and there we go, getting off message again LOL

pellicle;n872020 said:
15 ... holy cow man ... that's freezing ... are you wearing gloves? There should be rules about this ... workplace health and safety ;-)

did you want your burger well done?
8280848186_59191b0257_z.jpg

There's a slight Nicholson resemblance there.

Firstly, let me express my disappointment at you guys scaring off hevishot, rather than encouraging him to express himself openly.

Shah, the three biggies are St Jude Regent, ATS, and On-X.
The ATS has a rep for being quieter.

When I first met my surgeon in 2013 he told me he puts in a lot of Regents. He had only started using the On-x. When he operated on me 6 months ago, he had put in a few more On-X and liked them.

The On-X has a design feature that makes pannus (scar) growth less likely. You can read the blurb, by clicking on the banner on top of the forum. I still run on an inr between 2-3, despite the lower inr claims. I really see no added benefit running lower. Don't want to sound like a shill. There's lots of info online about the risk factors. Even wiki has some good info.

if YOU decide on a particular valve, ask your surgeon if he has experience installing your choice.

You will probably click, but after six months you won't even notice it. As we get older our ability to hear higher frequencies reduces, so my kids can hear it, my parents can't. Just letting you know, so there are no surprises. My clicking has become a 'meme' and has even featured in 'rap battles' (little fokkers trolling me).

You'll do well. Most people don't know what an ohs scar looks like, so they'll think you're a badass at the beach. Enjoy your youth. It only happens once.

pellicle;n872072 said:
Ahh

redrum

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/media.giphy.com\/media\/sv2DZ6oiqEzGE\/giphy.gif"}[/IMG2]

Good old Lloyd the bartender. I believe things are getting off topic again...

EasterRat;n872075 said:
I am disappointed in this judgey comment.

If anyone has been "judgey" it is Hevishot. He is either a "troll" trying to stir up trouble or, more likely, a very angry person. He hasn't left and was on the forum about half an hour ago. I welcome discussion based on fact but I will always challenge an attitude of "don't bother giving me fact.....I've already made up my mind". I challenge him to come back on with his fact to back up his claim.

dick0236;n872078 said:
...I challenge him to come back on with his fact to back up his claim.

Just so we're all clear, this appears to be the claim:

hevishot;n871906 said:
That archaic piece of plastic they call a mechanical valve will be obsolete before your tissue valve wears out. I fully expect the mechanical valves will be on the junk heap in 20 years.

Since the only way for this to happen is for all current mechanical valve recipients to either be deceased, or have had another open heart replacing said mechanical valve with a tissue valve sometime within the next 20 years, I suspect this would be a pretty tough claim to prove out.

Latest posts

Back