Mechanical Valve clicking comparison

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rcatalano

Carbometics has a comparison of the clicking noise for different model valves. I can't vouch for how accurate it is, but my wife says the sample of the ATS valve is similar to the ATS valve I received last month.

I don't think I would use this to make a valve decision, but I thought it interesting.

Carbometics heart valve sound comparison

Hey Rob,
Thanks for the info. The Carbo Medics and the St. Jude pretty much sound the same.
Have A Great Weekend.

Dave
Heart Center of the Rockies

I was thinking, what if someone had all 4 valves replaced with different models. Would it sound like a symphony orchestra, or would it be more like my daughters 5th grade band?

Somehow I don't think we'll see any clinical studies on that one.

Well sir, I think you should apply for one of them there Government study grants and try it out. Why not? They've funded other totally useless and stupid projects. :D

I have a St Judes mechanical and that valve on the site does not sound anything like mine. Not even close.

I have another study done somewhere regarding a mechanical valve noise comparision and it may be on my PC at work. If I can locate it I will post it. I can't even remember who did it and who won. It provided data but no sounds.

Rob, I'd say that my Mitral St. Jude's sounds very similar. It is nice and quiet. My heart rate is still pretty fast so it's character is more like a metronome.

A few months back there was a link on our opening page with different valves and their sounds. It may be the same page that
you've linked us to. It was from that page that I decided on either the St.Jude's or the carbomedic's because I thought if I had to hear it I wanted something that sounded soothing. So far I have only heard it once when I was lying on my side and my ear was kinda folded over. It surprised me a little but the sound was nice. A young nurse turned her back to me and turned off the fluorescent light and closed her eyes. She said she could hear it but just barely. She has better hearing than me.;)

I made few requests of my surgeon but I did tell him if I needed two valves I did want them both to be the same kind.

Maybe at the reunion we could put little amplifiers on our chests and see what beautiful music we make together....then we could record it for a site fund raiser.:D

My St. Jude's valve sounds nothing like the one on the site. Mine has a much more metalic finish to the click, if that makes sense. When I played the sounds for my husband, he agreed that mine didn't sound that way. Betty, I'm jealous that you barely hear yours. Mine, even after 15 months, is still pretty loud. It doesn't bother me much anymore, but every now and then it can get on my nerves. Of course, one of the plus sides is I can take my pulse without finding a pulse point. I just listen and count! ;)

My valves have a sharper edge to the click, these have a very "thumpy" sound to me, compared to what I hear coming out of my chest.

Mine is a St.Jude's and it sounds pretty much like the one here. I have to really listen for my valve at night and most of the time I don't even think about it anymore.
With my first valve (Sultzer Carbomedics) it was a different story. Really loud, and I had a difficult time with it until it had to be replaced again 11 days later.
Here the sound isn't a whole lot different from the St.Jude's, but when it had been implanted into my chest for those few days it was terrible, I thought.

Gina, your valve the 'Medtronic Hall' is the loudest I think, if I go by what I hear. How is the sound of yours, similar to what you hear here?
Anyone with a 'Sorin Biomedica Carbocast'? That one really has a click to it.

Sounds nothing like it. I never hear it ticking unless I am lying down going to sleep. Other than my daughter (shes usually right on top of me)....nobody comments that they can even hear it. Don't know where they get this from. Kind of ridicolous if you ask me.

I only posted this because I thought it was interesting. I haven't seen anything like it before. Like everything else involved with valve replacement, people have completely different experiences with the sound of their valve. I've seen studies trying to determine how the mechanical valve clicking affects a persons quality of life (apparently, not much).

If you can barely hear yours, I'd say thats great!

Mind if I ask why you think it ridiculous?

Most people can hear my 27mm St. Jude and I still get a kick out of the "That's a loud watch" comments from total strangers. As I have stated before, the clicking is a reminder the valve is working for me.....thus, is not a bother. Thanks, Rob for the interesting "Sound Site".

BARRETT L said:
Most people can hear my 27mm St. Jude and I still get a kick out of the "That's a loud watch" comments from total strangers. As I have stated before, the clicking is a reminder the valve is working for me.....thus, is not a bother. Thanks, Rob for the interesting "Sound Site".

Thats pretty cool to hear the different valves, although they sound pretty much the same, I think the ATS one sounds like someone is using scissors. The last thing Iwant to hear is more "cutting".
Joe Parker

Latest posts

Back