Mechanical, Tissue, Ross?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StretchL

Miami, FL. I'm not really sure what country this
I thought I posted this link a few weeks ago, but I can't find it now.

Apparently, those of us with bicuspid aortic valves are predisposed to brain aneurysms.

Here is the director of the Microvascular Neurosurgery Program in the Department of Neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center speaking on this topic:

[ link ]

This may be something to keep in mind when considering a mechanical valve, which will necessitate anti-coagulation therapy.

Very good info, Stretch. Interesting. I wonder if the statistics change once you have had your valve replaced/repaired...increased (proper) blood flow.:confused: My battery is giving out so I only watched half... will get back to the video. Very interesting, thank you so much for popping in and sharing!

Come by more often!!!!!! :D:D

Best wishes,

Marguerite

I wonder what else they'll discover about BAV patients. There sure seems to be a lot of things that pop up later in life. Thing that scares me is mine was Tricuspid, but yet I've got all these other things wrong, including an abdominal aneurysm now.

I found this very interesting becuase I have BAV and coarctation of the aorta that has been surgically repaired in infancy. In the past ten years the two cardiologists that I see have requested that I undergo cardiac MRI that has included brain scan to help detect brain aneursym, as apparently patients with BAV coupled with coarctation are statstically at increased risk of developing cerebral aneursym, sorry all, bit late... spelling shot .I have now had two cardiac mra and mri that involves lying in scanner for one hour and about forty minutes ( numb bumb syndrome ) I am glad this link is made and that my health professionals are on to it ... Happily my last scan showed no brain anerysm but no brain either ... ??

I actually have e-mailed the doc asking if his study group was pre- or post-op. I'm yet to hear back.

I would be very surprised if he's talking about a group of mechanical valve patients who are on warfarin therapy, as the warfarin itself would be a factor in the increased incidence of aneurysms. My guess is that his group is either pre-op or tissue valvers.

I suspect that the same gene that causes our BAVs also weakens other vascular tissues, resulting in the aneurysms.

Although it still seems logical to me that the aneurysms of the ascending aorta which are common to BAV patients result from the elevated pressures and screwy hemodynamics across the deformed valve, this latest information makes me think that there's a genetic predisposition in play, also.

One of these days they'll do an amnio on a fetus a few weeks after conception, find out what the coming problems are, zap some modified genetic code in there, and he/she will have to worry about this stuff. :)

I would be very surprised if he's talking about a group of mechanical valve patients who are on warfarin therapy, as the warfarin itself would be a factor in the increased incidence of aneurysms.

Pardon me, but where did this come from? Are you saying Coumadin causes aneurysms?

Anticoagulated or not, if you have a brain bleed, your in serious trouble. I'd be interested to see the study on a larger scale just to see if the numbers still hold true. Not saying they wouldn't, just curious.

I would agree with you on that, Ross. The use of warfarin and the increased bleed time might increase the total negative effects of brain aneurysms, including mortality, but should not affect the likelihood that an aneurysm develops in the first place.

This is fascinating stuff, Stretch. It makes reasonable sense too. We are already aware that there is a percentage of BAV patients who have a proclivity for developing anuerysms, particularly in tha aorta and the intracranial spaces. This ties it in from a new perspective. The real interest to me is that this comes from the field of neurology, rather than from cardiologists. For them to make the connection, it has to have been a notable incidence, as the medical profession in general is notoriously slow to associate patterns between different medical fields.

Best wishes,

the medical profession in general is notoriously slow to associate patterns between different medical fields.

Best wishes,

You know, I asked my Cardiologist point blank about this and he said on a professional level, no comment. On a personal level, he's positive of it.

The BAV association thing that is.

Poor Choice of Words

Poor Choice of Words

This is basically what I meant: "...the use of warfarin and the increased bleed time might increase the total negative effects of brain aneurysms, including mortality, but should not affect the likelihood that an aneurysm develops in the first place." (tobagotwo)

sorry about my poor choice of words...

Just to add my personal experience as a former BAV guy, I had a superficial temporal artery aneurysm back in the early 80's , long before I even knew I had a BAV.

This thread has been nagging at me since StretchL's thread starter. Here's a post I made from July, 2006. Does anyone know if there's been a link established between a cavernous angioma and the possibility of a brain anuerysm?

My original post:

Arlyss,
I've been following the links you supply to the BAVD foundation, but it took my reading this particular one to realize it probably applies to me.
http://www.bicuspidfoundation.com/St...e_Mettler.html
Two years ago I had a cavernous angioma found by MRA after a significant TIA episode landed me in the hospital. It was later determined that the clots were most likely originating from the calcification on my stenotic bicuspid aortic valve, and it was replaced a year ago.
At the time the angioma was found, I was told that it should cause me no problems. However after reading the link you supplied, I'm not so sure. I know that neither the cardiologist nor the neurologist linked the two conditions.
Since the replacement, I have developed a sensation that feels like a very strong beating in my head, but it comes and goes. Coryp, another BAVDer, likened it to a metronome, and I agree that's what it feels like. I thought it would diminish the further away I got from surgery, but it still reappears--for instance, this morning.
Do you know if Dr. Schievink is still doing research on the connection between a BAV and the berry aneurysm?
Thanks for any additional information you might provide.
Mary

Oh man...what if, what would happen if, what if I dont..what if I do? UGH! I hate to ponder the rest of the stuff us BAV'rs are prone to! I am BAV with thoracic aortic aneurysm repair, my dad had AAA and brain aneurysym and was BAV, and my mom has an aneurysm, pre op waiting for resp clearance.

Oh man...what if, what would happen if, what if I dont..what if I do? UGH! I hate to ponder the rest of the stuff us BAV'rs are prone to! I am BAV with thoracic aortic aneurysm repair, my dad had AAA and brain aneurysym and was BAV, and my mom has an aneurysm, pre op waiting for resp clearance.

Holy Moly! What a family history there. I guess you can say been there done that!

Rhena

Latest posts

Back