MAYO OR BUST: Surgery on Tuesday - PLAN B

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennie

Hi Folks,

Gearing up for my big day on Tuesday (23rd), for my aortic valve repair and possible aorta repair (dacron tubing) OR aortic replacement with the CryoLife SynerGraft aortic homograph with conduit. I WAS calm, focused, positive, even "happy" if I dare use that term. Stress levels were actually going down a bit. My aunt and uncle were planning to accompany me to Mayo Clinic, then take me to their place in Alabama for a month or so. However, this week my aunt was told that she herself needs her own very-urgent surgery IMMEDIATELY, there was no postponing for even a week. SO, I inquired around my family a bit as to who might be available and willing to come with me, and I got such a mass of confusion and stress in return, that my whole focus was shot, my stress levels are sky high, and I quickly recalled WHY I didn't tell them anything about my surgery until last week. Honestly, I should have kept my big trap shut about the whole thing, they are clueless regarding anything I am talking about, and have absolutely no concept whatsoever of the term "emotional support".

So, I am shifting into PLAN B, and just going out by myself. Thankfully I have made friends with a wonderful family in the town there, and they are welcoming me with open arms and will see me through this, I am sure. I plan to get my room phone number emailed to my close friends, and they can call me. And the nurses - they will take care of me! I think once I step onto that plane, I will have a nice nap on the way out, and then I can recover my focus and things will be well again.

My family has been trying to talk me into staying with them, here or there, after I get home. (My dad is talking about getting a futon for the corner of his little computer room. ACK!!) But, I have seen the writing on the wall and realize this would be a serious mistake, and really, I am glad I figured this out ahead of time. Instead, I am going to come home to the peace and quiet of my wonderful comfy couch, I will sleep and maybe read and relax and WALK and crochet and watch TV and talk on the phone and enjoy a few visits from friends and look at my email and post to my heart buddies here on this site. I know you folks will be here for me.

Thanks to Mara who will be posting for me while I'm in the slammer. I look forward to being back here soon myself.

Thanks to you all, I'll see you on the other side!!

-Jennie

Jennie,
This kind of discombobulation no one needs! If my surgery weren't tentatively still on for Wednesday (IF they can get a valve) I'd drive the 90 miles down to Rochester to see you through this thing. I'm glad you have some friends in Rochester! Just remember you have "the whole team" here rooting for you...hang in there, and I'll see you on the other side of the mountain!

All my best,
--John

Good luck Jennie. Hope our prayers help. Wish we could do more.

Although we're pretty helpless to help you during surgery, some of the greatest help I had post surgery came from this site. Hope we can do the same for you.

Steve

Discombobulated For Sure!

Discombobulated For Sure!

Yes indeed, you can count on us to be here when you get back.

Best regards.

Hi Jennie-

So sorry you have to go through the confusion when you least need it. Surgery is bad enough. People really do mean well, they just don't have a clue. I'm sure you're loved very much but we found that most of our friends didn't have any idea about this kind of surgery, nor did any of Joe's family. They all cared, but didn't have any idea about how to help plus it scares them witless.

So we're here, we're your Buds and we all know and care.

Kind wishes coming your way. You'll do fine just take it hour by hour.

thanks!!

thanks!!

Thanks for all your well wishes - for your understanding and support here. A lot of this is just my STRESS speaking, it's really off the charts right now, and, well, what can I say, you've all been there too....!

It will all work out, no worries.... And YES, I do plan on getting a lot of support here in the near future. You guys are great! I would truly not be where I am today without you all. And you know, I am so excited to finally be graduating to the "Post-Surgery" forum!!

-Jennie :D

Hey Jennie - one of the worst things for heart folks is anger, stress - so just set it aside and let'er go. I wish you the best plane ride you ever took and then a heartfull of good luck in your surgery and your traverse over the mountain. We are all with you. Prayers are yours. We'll wait right here for ya and leave the light on. Godspeed

Hi Jennie,

'Sorry you're going through so much stress right now. It's really difficult when parts of your "A" plan fall apart and those who you would like to be able to count on don't come through in the way you would hope they would.

However, you sound like a very bright and resourceful person that is able to do anything you put your mind to. Your plan B will be a little more difficult, but I'm sure you can do it. Be sure to discuss the situation with the case manager in the hospital while you are there so they can help arrange some assistance when you go home. You may need visiting nurses, home health aides, etc to help out until you are a week or two along in your recovery. Insurance should cover all that if it's necessary, so take advantage of it, even if you're not sure you will be needing it. You can always stop it if you feel well enough to manage on your own.

I'll be thinking and praying for you on Tuesday and looking forward to your first post following the surgery.

Ron K

hi jennie!
i can hear the stress in your words, you poor thing. we are all here for you.
i'm sorry things aren't going as planned, but atleast you have a back-up plan... ron is right, please let them know what your situation is so that they may provide you with some sort of assistance. you can always stop the service if you feel you really don't need it. i just think you might be very tired at the beginning and could use an extra hand. see how you feel. maybe ask what they think?
in the meantime, your day is around the corner and before you know it, it will all be behind you.
i'm glad mara will be posting for you and keeping us up to date.
you are in our thoughts and prayers.
God bless, sylvia

Latest posts

Back