Marcoumar

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fabyan64

Hi Guys and Gals!

I've been away for a while now, about 3 weeks to be exact, getting situated at home in Chicago. Driving is going well, as is everything else, but......... the Coumadin I'm taking is awful. I can't get it regulated, and have to take between 0 and 10mg in order to get my INR levels between 2.5 - 3.0, which is still not happening.

My goal is to revert to Marcoumar (Phenprocoumon) - 3mg tablets. My Swiss cardiologist does not understand why Coumadin remains in the market (drug company income is one reason), but it obviously reacts differently for each individual. Marcoumar seems to work the same for everyone. The INR levels are easy to maintain, and the restrictions are basically the same as Coumadin.

The evening question is...................... Where can I buy Marcoumar without going back to Switzerland????

Thanks,

Roderick

I'm still browsing the many pages of links to "Marcoumar" from my Google Search. There was an interesting comparision with Warfarin noted on the second page of links...

FWIW, this is the First I've heard of it.

Hi Guys and Gals!

I've been away for a while now, about 3 weeks to be exact, getting situated at home in Chicago. Driving is going well, as is everything else, but......... the Coumadin I'm taking is awful. I can't get it regulated, and have to take between 0 and 10mg in order to get my INR levels between 2.5 - 3.0, which is still not happening.

My goal is to revert to Marcoumar (Phenprocoumon) - 3mg tablets. My Swiss cardiologist does not understand why Coumadin remains in the market (drug company income is one reason), but it obviously reacts differently for each individual. Marcoumar seems to work the same for everyone. The INR levels are easy to maintain, and the restrictions are basically the same as Coumadin.

The evening question is...................... Where can I buy Marcoumar without going back to Switzerland????

Thanks,

Roderick

Are you taking Coumadin or the generic? From what I saw on wikipedia, Marcoumar appears to be very similar to warfarin/Coumadin -- i.e., all block synthesis of coagulation factors II, VII, IX and X.
"Phenprocoumon (marketed under the brand names Marcoumar, Marcumar and Falithrom) is an anticoagulant drug, a derivative of coumarin. It is a vitamin K antagonist that inhibits coagulation by blocking synthesis of coagulation factors II, VII, IX and X. It is used for the prophylaxis and treatment of thromboembolic disorders (thrombosis/pulmonary embolism)."

Why is your INR range 2.5-3.0? That's extremely narrow. That could be one reason why you're having problems. My range is 2.5-3.5, which is easier to hit than one with a spread of only 0.5.

I don't know if Marcoumar is available in the U.S.

Have you tried Jantoven? It's just another trademark brand of warfarin and is available in the U.S.

I'm not surprised this is the first time you've heard of Marcoumar? It's not available in the U.S. that I know of, but I know all the doctors I've met hear who have experience outside the U.S. know Marcoumar.

I'm taking Wayferin. After my 1991 surgery (AVR), my range was set at 2.5-3.0, and since I began home-testing in 1999, it has almost been right around 2.6-2.8. Marcoumar is very similar to Coumadin, but from my experience, it just works much better.

Never heard of Jantoven - mostly because I'm leaning towards Marcoumar.

It's near impossible to maintain a range that tight. Be happy with 2.5 to 3.5 or like the rest of us, anything between, 2.0 and 4.0.

It's near impossible to maintain a range that tight. Be happy with 2.5 to 3.5 or like the rest of us, anything between, 2.0 and 4.0.

Give us more information and we can help you get regulated. How much Warfarin are you taking per week? What is your last INR on a full weeks worth of a a steady dose? Diet? Excercise routine? Additional drugs? Pretty much your whole story.

Back