Making better heart valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jack

From the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3330251.stm

When Richard needed a heart valve replaced, doctors created him one from his own heart tissue, lessening the risk of rejection.

Cardiothoracic surgeon Professor Gilles Dreyfus, at Harefield Hospital, part of Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Trust, reconstructed Richard's aortic valve using his own heart tissue - the pericardium.

Since there is no risk of rejection, the patient does not need to take immunosuppressant drugs.

PS.

I don't remember taking immunosuppressant drugs when I had my AVR

Just a question of curiosity. I have often been asked if people who receive a biological valve have to take "immunosuppressant drugs." I have never heard a discussion of this. Just curious.

From the article:

<< "It was a big decision. I could have had a biological or mechanical valve, but I would have needed to take drugs for the rest of my life.">>

I don't understand this.

I know that with a mechanical valve I'd have to take coumadin, but I wasn't aware of any drugs you have to take "for the rest of your life" if you get a tissue valve. Have I missed something?

Leave it to the BBC News to get it all wrong, "Doctors also hope that, because of the compatibility, the valve could last as long as 20 years", this is a normal life expectation of biological valve, if the new valve is fully compatible it should last a life time.

There is no risk of rejection nor having to take immunosuppressant drugs when receiving biological or mechanical valve.

Someone from the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Trust Harefield Hospital or Dr. Gilles Dreyfus himself should have cleared the story before publication.

Are you being a bit 'harsh' Jack?

Are you being a bit 'harsh' Jack?

Quote:
Leave it to the BBC News to get it all wrong
-------------------------------------------------------

As a resident of UK, I am particularly proud of the long standing efficient job done by our British Broadcasting Corporation.

I do admit that the reporter did get that one point wrong - I cannot accept that the BBC got it ALL WRONG.

Maybe Jack is being a little harsh, huh?

Billy,

You are right I was too sarcastic, please accept my apology.

Thank you Jack....

Thank you Jack....

It takes a real man to apologise Jack, thank you.

Suppose I had to stand up for the BBC, you see last August, they did a very good documentary on the St Jude silzone valve which was the cause of my wife's death back in 1998. I had told my story to a lot of people over the previous two years and nobody seemed interested....then the good old BBC came along and did an indepth investigation.

The Presenter was a guy called Joihn Waite - he has a cousin called Terry who spent some time as a hostage in the middle east. If you go to the BBC Radio 4 website, you can actually still listen to the programme if you're interested.

Cheers from Northern Ireland,

Latest posts

Back