made it

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick0329

Had my AVR on Friday. Everything went well! I am out of icu since last night. When I am a bit stronger I will update everyone on .y experience.

Congrats. Take ur time. I took notes on my phone there and posted it later. I'm on day 11.

And, as we said, don't be bashful about spelling or grammar. We understand that some of us have trouble in the days just after surgery.

Glad to see you're back and going to spend some time with us.

I must use my phone to reply so it takes me time to type. I had a good day yesterday an walked with the walker. But last night I developed afib which had me worried all night. The do for told me this is co.Mon especially having had afib before. So I am more calm now. Today they may remove the last two chest tubes. I will try tocatch up on the sleep iI last last night!

I am happy to say they removed the last two tubes from my chest. It did not hurt at all. I will walk again later today.

Sorry I have not updated in a while, it was difficult typing on my phone. I came home this past Wednesday and am spending quite a bit of time resting! I do have a side effect from the surgery which is AFIB. The doctor is hoping it will go away on its own. I still can feel the AFIB so I will call the doctor tomorrow morning to see if it should be getting better soon. When I will feel a little bit better I would like to share the complete experience so others here will know my experience. I must say that everything I worried about did not happen! Now I must try to get better! Did anyone else have AFIB after surgery?

rick0329;n847044 said:
Did anyone else have AFIB after surgery?

Hi Rick,

I did end up with Afib after the surgery. I had Dressler's syndrome (fever + a fib) after my surgery and ended up back in the hospital about 7 days post-op. While there, I developed more consistent Afib and even fell and hit my head while in an Afib episode and on coumadin. Luckily, no damage from the fall. But, be careful about walking around while in an episode.. Your heart might not agree with your brain that you can handle it. I was just trying to make it to the bathroom on my own without calling for a nurse :)

The Afib for me was resolved with IV Amniodorone in the hospital plus a multi-month course of Amniodorone while at home afterward. Since I was already on a blood thinner, the Afib scenario wasn't quite as dangerous.. the main worry with Afib is clots, which the blood thinner helped reduce that risk for me.

Hope you're feeling better and it disappears on its own. If it takes some time, dont despair though. Your heart is still recovering from the surgery and Afib is a common side effect.

I was warned about Afib. Luckily i didn't experience any. I am almost 3 weeks post-op. So far things have gone okay. Counting days till i can start driving...working...playing.

Latest posts

Back