Made it home by lunch time!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epstns

Premium User
Supporting Member
While this was no cake walk, I will have to admit that this procedure and the whole process have gone exactly as I was told they could. I was registered yesterday at 11:30 AM for surgery, and was released today at about 10:00 AM to go home.

Yes, the pre-admission testing was every bit as rigorous (and invasive) as the testing was for my valve replacement 5+ years ago. It included X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, echo, and an angiogram. Given what "could" happen in a lead extraction, they wanted to be totally sure to be ready for whatever they may need to do - up to and including opening my chest for additional open-heart surgery. Looking back, it was totally the right thing for them to do to ensure my greatest chance of survival in the worst case in the OR.

Well, as my case went, none of that was necessary. My EP came out 1 hour after I went into surgery to tell my wife that the lead came out "really easily, with just pulling on it." In other words, my lead somehow was not scarred into my vein or my heart, even 5 years after implant. Amazing.

I have no memory of the procedure after I was prepped. Complete and immediate "lights out." The next thing I knew I was in the CICU, already extubated. The first thing I did was to feel up and down my chest to see if they had to "open me up." No problem, only the expected bandages - and there were quite a few. I had entry wounds in both sides of my groin, as well as my left wrist, and of course, the implant site itself. The groin wounds have been fine since the moment I awoke. The radial artery access wound had a very tight compression band on it, and was rather uncomfortable. My entire left hand and wrist are still swollen, but they tell me it will dissipate over the next couple of days.

The next most painful wound site was the IV in my right arm. For some reason, that one was just uncomfortable until they took it out when I was released. The arm is still somewhat swollen and sore, but I expect that it, too, will gradually get back to normal.

They say that I may experience some bruising in the future, and I believe them, since I am just now seeing the bruise form from my cath on last Friday.

The new device is a bit larger than the old one, but it is rated for almost double the battery life of the old pacer - provided that I don't suffer another premature lead failure. They did not see any obvious cause for my lead's failure, but they said that in these cases they will send the lead back to the manufacturer for evaluation. I probably will not hear any farther about it, though.

I had a restless night last night - being up about every 2 hours to use the bathroom. This time that Foley catheter irritated my bladder - a first for me. Usually those things have been just in one minute and out the next, with no discomfort. This time not so, and I'm still a bit uncomfortable although it is getting better by the hour.

They interrogated my new device this morning, and the doc said "everything is perfect - just as we set it at implant. No adverse events noted. Good to go." I was released late in the morning and my wife and I even stopped for coffee and a sweet roll (called a "reward") on the way home. I've been just chilling here at home, napping to make up for last night's lost rest. I will be home for the next week, as I have a scheduled "wound check" visit with my EP doc next Wednesday AM, after which I expect to be released to drive a car and go back to work (part-time for the first couple of weeks, then full time). I will have motion restrictions and weight restrictions just like a new first-time pacemaker patient, for the first 6 weeks. This will be new to me, since the first time I had a pacer implant was while I was still recovering from valve surgery, so I wasn't too active yet.

At the moment, the worst discomfort I have is my left shoulder, which just HURTS. I did not ask for narcotic pain meds, as it is not THAT bad. I am using (trying) extra-strength Tylenol, at my doctor's suggestion. Hopefully this will lessen over then next few days.

So, all in all, I'm very pleased with how this has played out. Once all the swelling goes down and the pains subside, I should be ready to get back to my regular fitness activities after the 6-week restriction period. Yes, I'll miss most of summer at the gym, but I will have the rest of my life to make up for it. With all the testing and replacement parts, this actually feels like a second "do-over." Once I stop hurting so much, I'll be thrilled, I know.

Hi

glad you're home

epstns;n866310 said:
While this was no cake walk, I will have to admit that this procedure and the whole process have gone exactly as I was told they could. I was registered yesterday at 11:30 AM for surgery, and was released today at about 10:00 AM to go home.

Yes, the pre-admission testing was every bit as rigorous (and invasive) as the testing was for my valve replacement 5+ years ago. It included.... Looking back, it was totally the right thing for them to do to ensure my greatest chance of survival in the worst case in the OR.

glad it was all beneficial and I'm glad that you've written this up so that 1) others can "know what to expect" and not freak out as much 2) get it off your chest.

best wishes!!

I hope soon its a diminishing memory on your time horizon

Great story Steve. Good write up Good results. Yes, you hurt, but healing will make it better. I'm very pleased you have an updated device. When you get a chance, can you elaborate on" "... They interrogated my new device this morning,..."

Sounds like it has a wireless communications or something like that. High tech, gotta love it. I've not been told to expect a pacemaker, but with OHS and a AVR, one never knows for sure. I would be interesting to know more about your updated model.

I'm very pleased it went well and wish you a speedy recovery.

Fred W

Sorry you've got some pain, but I hope you heal fast. I know you're glad it's behind you and it's good to hear things went super!

Post-OP day 2 and all continues on track, for the most part. The swelling in my left hand is going down nicely, although my left wrist and forearm are still tight and swollen. I can see the beginning of what will be a trophy-winning bruise on my left inner forearm, too. Some bruising is starting to show in the groin as well. My right forearm is becoming less irritated as the hours progress, and the actual implant site is just a bit swollen - no discoloration evident (yet). No remaining bandages, just the tape strips securing the incision itself. I am told that there are 3 layers of internal sutures, and that all will dissolve with no need for any medical intervention or removal expected.

My left shoulder is somewhat better this afternoon. It was very sore when I awoke this morning, but with Tylenol during the day, it is settling down a good bit.

The only "new" addition is what I believe to be a yeast infection from the Vancomycin I was given IV while in the hospital. You can guess where this is, of course - the genital area - and it is trying to drive me crazy. I only too late remembered having this the last time I had heart surgery, but last time I had no guess where it came from, and I had been in the hospital more than over night so there were many more causes to suspect. I'm using over-the-counter anti-fungal medication and crossing my fingers that this will resolve soon. It took quite a while last time, but I think it had longer to develop before I treated it.

I have my "wound-check" appointment next Wednesday AM, and expect no problems. I should be allowed to drive a car after that, and should receive my conditional "return to work" authorization at that time. I'm going to ask the EP to write that I can go back to work on the following Monday, part-time for the first two weeks to get back into things gradually.

So, I consider this as one in the "win" column. All good diagnostics prior to the procedure, a textbook procedure, and now a relatively uneventful recovery. I haven't done any activity yet that would tax the pacemaker or cause it to use any of its advanced compensation algorhythms, but I expect the settings to be very close to "right" this first time, as they are patterned after the most recent settings on my old device.

Thanks for all the moral support, everyone. This procedure, with all the other things going sideways in my life right now, was a major source of anxiety and stress. It will be wonderful to have it successfully completed and to move on.

"Textbook" sounds excellent. I'm happy to hear it! Hoping your yeast dissipates quickly and that your pacemaker's settings turn out to be spot on.

Post-op day 4 and all seems to be progressing on track. Some of the swelling I noted immediately post-op in my left hand and arm has decreased. I can once again wear my wedding band, and also my wrist watch. The watch is not quite a good fit, though, as after I have it on for an hour or so it gets a bit sore. Maybe another day or so.

I've also noted a lot more bruising at the catheter entry sites - my left wrist and both sides of my groin. In the groin there is little to no discomfort, just dark red bruising. My left forearm remains sore, and is a very imaginative medium blue color. Nothing that causes me any worry, though. It seems to be resolving.

The yeast infection (or whatever it is) seems to be responding to some heavy-duty Lotrimin cream. I can see progress daily, so I am hopeful that this too shall pass.

I have been out walking yesterday and today - almost 2 miles daily, round trip (it has been too hot and humid in the afternoon to do more). I sense that things are not yet "100%" but I am not going to worry about it yet. It could be that I am still healing, it could be that I am just getting used to slightly different pacemaker settings and device behavior, or it could be that something really is not as it was. I will keep a watch on it over the next few days, and if it continues I will discuss it with my EP next Wednesday. I do plan to expand my walk time over the next few days to see.

My left shoulder pain continues, but not as bad as the first couple of days. Tylenol does a pretty fair job of keeping the worst at bay, so I am expectant that within the next few days or so I will not be needing the Tylenol any more.

So, I'm just keeping at it, gently for now. I will learn more at the EP visit next week, but for now, I'm just doing as well as I had hoped I would.

That's a good report. Two miles isn't shabby!

Sorry they bruised you up. Hope the shoulder comes around soon.

It's good to hear the yeast is easing.

Great news Steve. Not bad, all things considered. I'm glad that things have gone ok so far.

Tom

I'm glad to read that it went smoothly, and that your recovery is progressing so well. It makes me realize that a lot of things that we worry about and avoid like crazy (yeah, I have to get back to the work I was avoiding) seem so small once you've actually done them. (In your case, worrying about worst case events was just a lot of extra stress -- you had a good team, let them 'drive the bus', and came out with a good result).

Back