Low Systolic BP and High Diastolic BP question...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsanjose

anyone else have issues with low systolic BP but high diastolic BP? i notice it's usually this way when i'm standing most of the time. i guess i'm more "borderline" at low 100's over 85-90 but i'm curious.
btw, when i went in to see my cardio i was at 98/80. he said i can up my salt but doesn't this also raise my diastolic pressure?

My diastolic BP went higher soon after my aortic valve replacement two years ago. It is now usually in the 80s and 90s. I have asked about this to my docs/cardio but don't get any answer. Last week my GP said that he wants me to test again for a week and if ithe diastolic averages over 80 he wants me on an ACE inhibitor - and before April. What ? Am I going to explode in April ? No it's so he gets his QOF points (Quality and Outcome Framework points). He must be kidding ! My systolic BP is fine, it's just the diastolic that is too high BUT no way am I taking a BP medication when I don't know the CAUSE of the raised diastolic !

do you remember how high it was before it dropped to 80-90's? i'm curious is this is a result of the surgery and could resolve itself over time?

i did a bunch of reading about this and found we should be taking our BP reading sitting or laying down. anyone know if this is true?

theres a condition called orthostatic diastolic hypertension that can give a higher reading when standing.

tsanjose;n863373 said:
do you remember how high it was before it dropped to 80-90's?

Mine didn't drop to 80-90's - it rose to 80-90's, sometimes it's as high as 95. Prior to surgery it was around 70. My GP wants it 80 or below.

I always take my BP sitting down. I'm very careful to take it correctly. Here's the advice I follow:

Before you take your blood pressure reading

1. Many things can make your blood pressure rise for a short time. Make sure you do not need to use the toilet, and that you have not just eaten a big meal. Do not measure your blood pressure within 30 minutes of drinking caffeine or smoking.

2. Wear loose-fitting clothes like a short sleeved t-shirt so that you can push your sleeve up comfortably.

3. Always use the same arm for blood pressure readings, as each arm will give you a slightly different reading. If possible, use the arm that your doctor or nurse uses when measuring your blood pressure.

4. Before you take your readings, rest for five minutes. You should be sitting down in a quiet place, preferably at a desk or table, with your arm resting on a firm surface and your feet flat on the floor.

5. Make sure your arm is supported and that the cuff around your arm is at the same level as your heart. You may need to support your arm with a cushion to be sure it is at the correct height. Your arm should be relaxed, not tensed.

How to take your blood pressure using a home blood pressure monitor
1. Put the cuff on following the instructions that came with your monitor.

2. Make sure you are relaxed and comfortable. If you are anxious or uncomfortable, this will make your blood pressure rise temporarily.

3. When you are taking your reading, keep still and silent. Moving and talking can affect your reading.

4. Take two or three readings, each about two minutes apart, and then work out the average. Some people find that their first reading is much higher than the next readings. If this is true for you, keep taking readings until they level out and stop falling, then use this as your reading.

5. Record your reading, either in the memory of your monitor or on computer or paper.

http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/Blood...g/Howtomeasure

thanks paleogirl. after reading this i found some other articles that suggest when to take BP readings cause of how mich they fluctuate. one article says take them in the mornings or evenings while rested. taking them during the day while you're out and about is really not a good indication of the baseline. who knew?!?!

i took mine before bed and when i woke up this morning (sitting) and it read 112/80 and 108/77.

Oh, antoher suggestion, get the nurse to wait a minute after gettin you into the exam room before doing the BP. It will rise when you walk to the room. And also, if you are very nervous, just relax. Sometimes I get nervous for no reason, just for even a checkup, I get nervous and take it slow, breathe in and out slowly.

Latest posts

Back