Low-Sodium Diet request while on Cruise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njean

Premium Level
Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

Well, I've booked our Alaskan Cruise/Tour. Now we just keep our fingers crossed & say our prayers that everything stays well & stable between now & May! :)

One thing I forgot to mention to our travel agent was whether or not I can request a low-sodium diet while on the cruise or is this a pretty futile request on my part. :confused: I realize that while we do the tour part, I will be on my own & will have to watch what I eat.

Does anyone know if this would be possilble? Thank you! :)

Yes Jean......I hope you're on a Princess ship. Why don't you go to www.princess.com and sign up, view your reservation and put your requests there in your 'cruise personalizer' - https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/login.page?company=PC

Here's what they say about diets:
"Special Diets
Princess is happy to meet your request for low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar, and vegetarian diets. In addition, kosher meals (frozen entrées only) and baby food are available upon advance written request. Any other special diet requests must be authorized in advance by the Princess corporate office.

Please ask your travel agent to advise Princess in writing at least four weeks before you sail of any special diet, allergies or medical needs. For exotic cruises, please advise us of any special dietary requirements at least two months prior to sailing. For your convenience, you can also supply this information online using our Cruise Personalizer. Once onboard, please check with the Maître D'Hotel to confirm your request."

ShezaGirlie said:
Yes Jean......I hope you're on a Princess ship. Why don't you go to www.princess.com and sign up, view your reservation and put your requests there in your 'cruise personalizer' - https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/login.page?company=PC

Here's what they say about diets:
"Special Diets
Princess is happy to meet your request for low-sodium, low-fat, low-sugar, and vegetarian diets. In addition, kosher meals (frozen entrées only) and baby food are available upon advance written request. Any other special diet requests must be authorized in advance by the Princess corporate office.

Please ask your travel agent to advise Princess in writing at least four weeks before you sail of any special diet, allergies or medical needs. For exotic cruises, please advise us of any special dietary requirements at least two months prior to sailing. For your convenience, you can also supply this information online using our Cruise Personalizer. Once onboard, please check with the Maître D'Hotel to confirm your request."

Thank you for your reply! Yes, we're booked on the "Island Princess" & I will log on to the web site right now. I've also left word for my travel agent to call me. Take care! :)

We did not tell the cruise ship before we went about my son's low sodium needs, but they bent over backwards to help him. They went to the bakery dept for every meal to get him unsalted butter and they made everything that they could "low sodium" for him. I was amazed at their wonderful attitude about it.

briansmom said:
We did not tell the cruise ship before we went about my son's low sodium needs, but they bent over backwards to help him. They went to the bakery dept for every meal to get him unsalted butter and they made everything that they could "low sodium" for him. I was amazed at their wonderful attitude about it.

Thanks Deanne -- I went on-line as "shezagirlie" suggested on a prior post & I added this preference with the cruise personalizer. My travel agent also told me that she would call princess & make sure to confirm that request but she also told me the same thing you just did, that they (cruise line) will go out of their way to accomodate the passengers. :)

I'll just have to take extra Lasix when we do the tour part of the cruise because meals are on our own then. Only thing that I am wondering about, but I'll just have to wait until our departure date is closer, if I want to take extra medication with me, how am I going to convince my insurance co that I need to take extra meds & have them pay for it? (I get a 30-day supply of my meds & when I've tried to have them filled prior to the fill date, my insurance co declines to fill the prescription! :( )

But anyway, it's still a way off so I'll see what I have to do. Thanks & have a great day!:)

Your insurance company probably has a way to get your meds via mail order. You get a 90 day supply that way and usually only pay 2 co-pays (instead of 3). Check with them - it is very convenient.

briansmom said:
Your insurance company probably has a way to get your meds via mail order. You get a 90 day supply that way and usually only pay 2 co-pays (instead of 3). Check with them - it is very convenient.

Yes, it's called Medco. I'll be getting in touch w/them soon. Thank you!:)

If you wish to stay with the pharmacy you currently use and would only be switching because of this 'vacation need', you might check with your insurance about Vacation Refill. My insurance allows early refills for vacation two times per calendar year.

We cruise a great deal.....always on Holland America Line and they are wonderful about accommodating all sorts of special dietary needs. A low sodium diet request on cruise ships is very common. You should not have any difficulty.

Latest posts

Back