Low intensity training is working

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
After about a month of throttling it down and lengthening it out, the results are very encouraging. Quick recovery. Lower appetite and weight loss. More flexibility. Better motivation.

Using a heart rate monitor (Polar RS100), I keep my heart rate under 135 BPM and lengthen my workouts each week. I set 135 as the upper limit and it beeps at me when I reach 135 - and slow down until I get around 115.

Long swim is up to 50 minutes at a time. Long run 45 minutes. Long cycle 90 minutes. I'm ready for (and have done) some speed drills in swimming. Need to get endurance higher (and lower weight) in running and cycling before I push speed drills in those, especially running.

Swam my fastest mile ever this week - under 40 minutes!:)

Resting HR consistently is in the low 50's. Actually hit 49 one morning. Don't need the monitor to take my pulse in the morning, just be quite and listen.:rolleyes:

Still having PVCs but doing my duty to ignore them for the most part.

Hoping to get in several sprint tri's and runs this year and maybe a spot on one of the VR.com relay teams.:D

Tom,
Congratulations on your progress.
I started HR training about 10 months ago under the direction of my triathlon coach. I underwent some lactate threshold testing to determine my training zones. For me that is 127-140 on the bike and 134-143 running for endurance/fat burning (zone 2) base training.
Although staying in my HR training zone forces me to run at what feels to be a painfully slow pace, my actual time/mile while in zone 2 has dropped by more than a minute/mile. Still slow, but hopefully reflecting improving conditioning. My resting HR has dropped to 44 BPM, which has amazed my cardiologist.
I've got a session scheduled with my coach next week to discuss adding some interval and tempo runs to start working on improving my speed.
My biggest problem is my diet - I still eat (& drink) too much of the wrong things.
Good luck and keep up the good work!
Mark

I was thinking about your post while I swam this morning, Tommy.
I'm trying to keep my HR at 125 with a range of 115-135. That is hard to do when I'm jogging; I keep creeping up to around 144 by the end of the work-out. On the other hand, when I finished a 40 minute swim today, my HR was 95. I wonder if I could average the two and claim a 120??;) ;) :p :p

I also started having PVC's again. I always had them before surgery, but didn't have them at all until a few weeks ago. I"m going to mention it to the cardio when I go in mid-May. Mine are always associated with sudden exertion; never when I'm working out.

All in all, I'm feeling more like "me" all the time. And yep, I'm working on securing a spot on a VR relay team too!:cool: :cool:

MarkU said:
Although staying in my HR training zone forces me to run at what feels to be a painfully slow pace, my actual time/mile while in zone 2 has dropped by more than a minute/mile. Still slow, but hopefully reflecting improving conditioning.
I am glad to see you post that. I think that may already be happening, but it's too early for me to call it a trend. Yes, eating is my downfall. The lower appetite helps. RHR=44? Whoa baby, that's close to Lance Armstrong territory.

BTW, I'm visiting my parents for a couple of days in Leesburg. This is a pretty quick trip, but I hope to spend a few minutes in Clermont checking out the Tri site. Maybe we could get together some other trip - maybe do a Tri together in Clermont.

Mary, yes jogging is the hardest for me to find a good pace under the limit. When my watch beeps at me (135), I walk until it gets down to 115 and then try (again) to find the right pace to stay steady. I'm convinced that my PVC's are aggravated mostly my stress. As for the math, you're the shcool teacher (intentional typo for added sarcasm). Is that "new math"?:rolleyes: Glad to hear you are feeling better and better!:)

Tommy, good stuff!

Tommy, good stuff!

I know the HR stuff works, and like you, I simply eat too much of the not-so-good-but-man-it-tastes-good stuff.

:)

Good Thread Guys

Good Thread Guys

MitralMan said:
I know the HR stuff works, and like you, I simply eat too much of the not-so-good-but-man-it-tastes-good stuff.

:)

Mark - I will be particularly interested in the frequency of your interval training. Tommy - great work/great approach! Mark

msiwik said:
Mark - I will be particularly interested in the frequency of your interval training. Tommy - great work/great approach! Mark

I'm currently on a 2x weekly schedule with swimming, cycling and running. Just met with my triathlon coach this afternoon and he is putting together a specific race season training plan for me. We discussed running three days per week, since that's my weakest event: One long run, a tempo/interval workout, and a recovery run. I've basically just been doing base training for the last six months. My training plan will be adding more interval work to build-ups to my races. I'll post the plan as soon as I get it from my coach next week.
My diet is a big problem. Need to do better job of watching what and how much I eat. My coach suggested that I consider eating five small meals per day, including something around 2:30PM on the days I work out after work.

I'm also going to a two-day workshop with Joe Friel the weekend after Easter. Looking forward to that.

5k Report and Venue Report

5k Report and Venue Report

I have misplaced my monitor strap. Ran a 5k without it yesterday.
Local charity run - my fourth time in 6 years. Field of about 150.
Temperature in the upper 40s with winds 10-20.
My goals were to have a good time, have negative splits, and recover quickly.

I ran the first mile faster than I wanted (and mostly into the wind). I was concerned that I was blowing my goals already. But I felt fine, and decided to simply hold the pace for the second mile. At mile 2 I still felt great, so started gradually picking up the pace to the finish.
Mile 1 10:33 pace
Mile 2 10:33 pace
Mile 3.1 9:25 pace
Total 10:08 pace 31:24

That was fun! No where near a PR, but faster than expected and faster than I've trained for the last month. No stiffness today so I went for a bike ride (moderate pace) instead of taking the day off. Legs still feel great. Woo hoo!

Need to get a replacement monitor band and also keep my enthusiasm in check - keep the training intensity low for while longer.

Last weekend I visited the Clermont, FL triathlon venue. I hung around the swim area and the transition area and watched a Super Sprint Tri (a little shorter than a Sprint Tri). It's a great transition area - large, grassy, and flat. The event was very well organized. I also talked to the official bike shop about shipping my bike in or renting one. Hope to return next year and be a participant.

Nice race, Tommy! :)

Let me know whenever you want to do Clermont. Would love to link up with you.

Mark

Tom: You are my inspiration! Truely, it was a posting about you somewhere in cyberspace that led me to VR.com. Thanks for that and all your good training tips. Rock on!
LLJ

Textbook

Textbook

tommy said:
Laura,
Thank you. That means a lot to me. It was Mark W's story in cyberspace that led me here 2 1/2 years ago. And it's still a thrill to be part of VR.com.

Tommy: Way to go! Textbook performance in at least two respects. First, you ran negative splits with your last mile being the fastest. Second, you were strong for the race because of the way you have trained with lower intensity aerobic workouts. My OHS recovery has really taught me the virtue of doing faster running as a complement to regular consistent exercise that doesn't wear you out. It's something you have pointed out several times in your various threads - less can be more when practiced regularly. Finally, you finished with a smile. Very happy for you! Thanks for sharing the race story - hoping it leaves even more incentive for 2006 efforts! Congrats. Mark

A Tri weekend (well, sort of)

A Tri weekend (well, sort of)

I trained all three events in successive days - at the Olympic distances, no less. The goal was to push and test my endurance, but not the intensity.

Fri: cycle 30 miles
Sat: swim 1 mile
Sun: run/walk 10k 6.2 miles

Was able to keep pretty steady paces start to finish. The mile was at competitive speed for me. It was my longest bike ride ever and my longest run in over 6 months. The run temp was 85, warmer than I like. Ran through the neighbors sprinklers whenever possible.

Looking forward to more endurance on the bike and on foot, and some speed work in all three. Still have 5 weeks to next sanctioned tri (sprint).

More on Low to Moderate Intensity

More on Low to Moderate Intensity

Joe Henderson wrote a nice article that speaks to the issue of "not going all out" every day during training EVEN if you are not recovering from open heart surgery, as many of us are. This is where heart rate monitors and patience really come in handy. Joe's column is below:

Another reason I love teaching and coaching runners is that each new group asks me to prove myself all over again. They don't know me or my methods. I need to show them that spending the next three to four months on the scheduled training will be worth their while.

We'd barely started a new term in my 10K training class at University of Oregon when a young runner we'll call Dan questioned me on pacing. He couldn't, or wouldn't, slow down to the pace I'd suggested for his long runs. I need such challenges every few months to brush up on my sales pitches.

"I have not been hitting my target times, because frankly they seem too slow," Dan said. He wasn't rebelling or debating, just wanting an answer. "Explain to me why is it beneficial to run slower for the longer runs rather than coming close to race pace. I thought if you trained slow, you raced slow."

Runners like Dan make me think before answering them. They won't accept "because I know so and say so" as an answer. Neither is "this is what I've always done and what hundreds of students before you have done."

He didn't want to know that others had routinely raced one or more minutes per mile faster than most of than training miles. He wanted to know why my way might be better than the one he'd thought was right.

I told him that if you're an experienced runner, already routinely exceeding the distances run in class (at that time, four to five miles), fine. Go ahead and run them faster than the target.

Take this as a tempo run, at pace of a race at least twice this long. But run this hard only one or two days a week.

Even the most skilled runners need to back off their best pace most days, saving themselves for the occasional day when they're supposed to go fast. The many easier runs let the few harder ones go better.

I told student Dan, "Almost no one, even the very best athletes, can run at or near maximum effort day after day. Even they must run less than their best most of the time."

How much less? About a minute per mile slower than you could race a comparable distance.

Dan was about a 40-minute 10K runner when our class began. That's 6:30 mile pace, and he took our early runs within 10 seconds of that. No wonder he balked when I targeted him at 7-1/2's.

In fact, I warn students not to obsess over splits. Miles aren't marked during their longer runs, so they can't check themselves along the way.

Instead I tell them to relax and let whatever happens, happen with their pace. Run what feels right, neither too fast nor too slow, and it probably is right. Run at a pace that they feel they could have held longer.

Once a relaxed training pace finds itself, let it guide the speed of the faster runs. We take those once a week in Dan's 10K training class. On this day he's free to go as fast as he can.

In class after class the results are the same. Each group averages a minute a mile faster on tempo runs (of about half their racing distance) than on the longer, relaxed ones. They run up to TWO minutes faster on interval days.

This class introduces the students to training that I call "overs and unders" -- over the race distance (we peak at eight miles in this 10K class) but at a slower pace, and under the race distance at race pace or faster. Full distance at full pace comes only on race day, when it counts.

Approaching the race from both directions helps a runner improve. If Dan doesn't think this can happen with the training I assign, he might talk with a student named Renee from the previous term.

Renee isn't new to running and racing. She decided after running two marathons last fall and winter that her speed needed work.

She followed the scheduled training in class, slowing and speeding up as assigned. In her "final exam," the term-ending 10K race, she scored a 3-1/2-minute PR.

So happy and inspired

So happy and inspired

I can't tell you how great I feel having just read this thread. As you can see from my signature, I'm two weeks pre-surgery.

My greatest fear of this whole thing is not being able to get back to running. I did 3 half-marathons last year (which I love), but it's really my very cheap therapy. I can't imagine not being able to do it. Seeing that all of you have made such great progress is tremendously inspiring.

I'm lined up for a tissue valve and my surgeon feels that I'll be able to get back to running later this summer. If any of you can comment on if this is realistic, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kristine

Kristine,

I wish you well on your surgery. Back to running late summer? Sounds like your surgeon has an open mind and/or has experience with athletic types having valve surgery. Once you've past the initial healing, at one of your routine follow-up visits, you may want to ask more details about expectations. My instincts are to not push it. You want your recover to be a one-way street.

Oh, another encouragement for you. I've notice a trend in here of people that are physically fit recovering much faster than those of us that weren't fit.

You have a lot to look forward to.

Mark,
Thanks for your post. Right up my alley. I like the over and under philosophy. I'm doing that now, training for my next triathlon. Swim 2x event. Long bike building to 3x event. Long run building to 3x event. Event distances are 750 yards, 12.4 miles, 5k. I'm waiting in each event to reach my build up distance before spending much time in speed. Also, I want to lose more weight before pounding the pavement hard.
Instead I tell them to relax and let whatever happens, happen with their pace. Run what feels right, neither too fast nor too slow, and it probably is right. Run at a pace that they feel they could have held longer.
This hits the nail on the head and articulates why I purchased a heart rate monitor. It has helped me "listen to my body" better. I found Joe's website. http://www.joehenderson.com/

When I first started running 3 years ago, I simply enjoyed it. Injuries started when I started pushing too fast and too often. The result was under-performing expectation at race time. Don't get me wrong, no regrets, just continued learning.

Weekend Update

Weekend Update

Fri: 1 mile swim.
Sat: 20 mile bike - toured White Rock Lake with my wife.
Sun: 6.3 mile run - slow and hot - recovered well - sorry I missed Sunday chat.
Mon: 1 mile swim - PR - broke 38 minutes.

I don't plan to do my endurance training back to back to back, just seems to work that way. My days off typically result from work or home activities. Thank goodness for weekends. One of these days I might do the events in the right sequence:rolleyes:. The beauty is that because of the cross training, I can work out several days in a row without leg soreness - hardly even any stiffness.

It felt good to reminisce part of the marathon course from a set of wheels. Passed a guy with marking on his legs - had done a tri in the morning.

Still want to bump my long bike and long run over the next 3 weeks. Having fun pushing the swim speed. It seems that the faster I swim, the more efficient I get.

I ordered a new strap for my heart rate monitor - should be in this week.

Hope to tour the 5/29 tri site this weekend.

Broken Elbow

Broken Elbow

Took a spill on the bike this evening.
Non-displaced radial fracture.
Will see an orthopedist for therapy and limitations.
Based on my wife's history with the same fracture last year, the prognosis is excellent.

Expect to be on the sidelines for a few weeks at least.
Likely Will skip 5/29 triathlon.
There will be others.
Hope to be able to at least run soon enough to retain some of my endurance.

Colorful case of road rash - no bleeding issues.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, Tommy.

What's the saying? There are two types of cyclists: Those who have crashed and those who are going too...

I had my turn last fall; was forced off the road by a car (even though I was in a bike lane) and ended up with a slight shoulder separation.

Hope you heal quickly and are able to get back at it very soon.

Keep us updated.

Mark

Back