Low Fever

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CA Pigg

I'm running a 99.6 right now. This is the first time I've had a slight fever. My neck is still hurting and the arm/shoulderl. Now my neck is itchy as well but so is the cut, it isn't leaking any though just looks dry... Everything always seems to be worse at night time.... Why is that?? I'm supposed to take the 1/2 mg of coumadim in a few minutes and I go tomorrow and get rechecked and hoping to get referred to the hematologist and the script for the home tester, I really need on for my sanity..... Guess I just needed to vent some. Hope everyone had a Good Sunday!!!

Fevers are fairly common after surgery. If it gets higher or you start noticing any other symptoms, get it checked out. If your neck wound looks clean and dry, it is probably fine.

Good luck with the whole coumadin thing tomorrow. I hope they can get you sorted out.

Kim

I still have night sweats every night. I have not had a fever though. Your incision will be itchy because it is healing. Also my shoulders do ache quite a bit, just need to massage them. I would tell the doctor if your fever continues though.

Carole,
I began running fever a couple of days before discharge and have had it just about every evening since. It runs anywhere from 99.1 to 99.9. My docs told me not to worry until it was 100.5 or over. They said when I got the fever to just drink lots of water. It works. Mine always goes down. I have stayed on antibiotics for 3 weeks though. They sent me home with them and 3 refills. I just keep refilling.

All of my incisions are itching right now. It is driving me crazy. I can't stand my shirt against any of them. I hear if they are itching it is a good sign....except for the insanity!

Thanks for the info! Yep the itching sucks!!! I'm glad it is a good sign. I am hoping I will be able to have doctor look at my neck where the port was along with giving me the referral and stuff. I'm just worried I won't be able to get in with him, my appointment is with the coumadim people. It is in the same building so hopefully, I can get to see him!!! It just feels funny and at my ears feels funny, very weird.... I go see the surgeon on Friday but I really don't want to wait that long. I keep using a massager with heat and then a heating pad and John will rub for me as well. Night time just seems like everything hurts worse but I really think the shoulder/arm is the worst.....

Carole,

My ears felt funny for a while. I had to hold my nose and push out holding my breath to get them to pop. I felt like their was fluid in them and like I was under water. That feeling let me to just feeling off and not all here. I am still very hoarse and still can't talk well, so I don't know if it is all part of the tube or what. I just continued my antibiotic and now my ears don't have the water feeling. I do still have to blow while holding hose to make them pop.

As you can see I can't sleep. I have been on the couch, in the bed, back on the couch, now in the recliner. I just finally had myself a good cry. The tv is back on and here I am wide awake....I've finally resolved myself for not sleeping at least 5 more weeks.

I'm trying so hard, but losing my good sense of humor and patience.

I hope you get it all straightened out.

I'm running a 99.6 right now.

may not be a 'fever' if only off by one degree fahrenheit

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003090.htm

"Body temperature varies less in adults. However, a woman's menstrual cycle can elevate her temperature by 1 degree or more.

Your body temperature is usually highest in the evening. It can be raised by physical activity, strong emotion, eating, heavy clothing, medications, high room temperature, and high humidity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever

"...typical body temperature.....37 °C ±1 °C, or approximately 99 ±2 °F"

I had a fever in the mid-99's every night for at least six weeks. I would come on at 6-7PM, and then break with a horrible bout of night sweats at 2-3AM.

I was sick about 4 weeks post-op. Fever, chills, headache, increased lack of appetite. My PCP ran blood cultures, which were negative. We chalked it up to a viral infection. I was fine after about 4 days, but in the meantime, I felt like crap!

I would suggest that anyone with similar symptoms should check with their doctor & get it checked out if necessary.

Carole - just a heads up - if you are told that home monitoring isn't as accurate as lab or clinic - you know you're at the wrong place for your INR care. They may tell you that you need to wait 3 months before exploring home monitoring, and that's okay. Although I do know that Mayo Clinic had (and may still have) a program where they sent people home with their own monitors. At least you know they are open to the subject, even if they tell you you must wait.

I'm going on 7 years of home monitoring and probably about 6 on self-dosing. I am considering switching cardios to one in my area. But I will never go with a cardio that isn't on board with me home testing and self-dosing.

Good luck!

Back