Low blood platelets

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Hi everyone. I am a real mess today. I finally got the nerve to set a date for bav replacement surgery. It should be on Sep 6th. But I went to my annual physical and they said my platelets were really low. They said they were a little low last year too, but they just told me that too. I guess with all that went on last year with finding out about my bav, I just never looked at that number. Anyway, they sent me to a hematologist to get it checked. They said it was even lower now. 85,000. Then the did a bone marrow extraction. Now I have to wait. They said it could effect my decision on getting a mechanical valve. They said it could be liver, pancreas, bone marrow, or other bad things.
Really!! I FEEL FINE! I just went to the doctors for physicals both times! They said they would call me about my test results on Tuesday or Wednesday for the first set of results. Then on Sept 4th for the rest. Wednesday I need to go have an ultrasound done too. This might all change my surgery date. Or worse.
Anyone else have blood problems? I am so stressed, I had to take another vacation day. This is going to be a really hard next few weeks.

Yes, this could affect your decision to have a mechanical valve, as there is some risk of hemolytic anemia with a mechanical - the turbulence can damage red blood cells. The On-X valve seems to have a better track record in that regard, but if you have a medical condition that affects your platelets long term, a tissue valve may be advisable.

I recommend some anti-anxiety med in the short term, and further investigation into the reason for your low platelet count prior to surgery. Hang in there.

Yes, this could affect your decision to have a mechanical valve, as there is some risk of hemolytic anemia with a mechanical - the turbulence can damage red blood cells. The On-X valve seems to have a better track record in that regard, but if you have a medical condition that affects your platelets long term, a tissue valve may be advisable.

I recommend some anti-anxiety med in the short term, and further investigation into the reason for your low platelet count prior to surgery. Hang in there.

Also the other concern would be if you have low platelet count, so increased bleeds, risks of internal bleeds, bruises etc, they wouldn't want to put you on Coumadin.

Scott have you noticed any bruising? Hopefully it turns out to be something relatively simple. The problem could be caused by so many different things, from things that cause not enough platelets being produced, to other causes that can be for some reason the body makes a normal amount of platelets but too many platelets are being destroyed. Some meds can even cause low platelet counts.
Both my SIL and neice had very low platelets, theirs were less than 10,000 and they both had alot of bruising which is why they had blood work done that showed low platelets.
In their cases the problem was their platelets were being destroyed by their spleens. My neice was in high school at the time, she had it removed and hasn't had any problems since. My SIL also had hers removed which worked for the plateles but hers was mainly because of an auto immune disease. I hope you get answers soon, I can only imagine the added stress this has caused.

Last edited:
Scott, you asked if any others have blood problems, so I am going to mention mine briefly, trying not to hijack your thread. I know this must be especially disconcerting to you with your surgery now pending.

I have my first visit with a hematologist this Friday. My GP referred me, seeking to find out why my hemoglobin and hematocrit have been slowly but steadily declining with each bloodwork, done at 3-4 month intervals. The worrisome thing is that this can be so many things -- in fact, I go to a cancer center to see him, which adds to the stress.

Since the GP has been able to detect no blood loss (though I may still have to have a test for internal bleeding, such as from an ulcer I don't know about), I have my own theory, which I am going to raise with the hematologist, and that is that my low-term use of metformin, a diabetes medicine, is gradually having this effect. Studies have shown that metformin over time can reduce B-12 levels, and bring on anemia, so I am thinking (almost hoping, since this would be better than most other possibilities) that this is the cause and can be corrected by changing meds.

But as I said, having to be concerned about blood problems is particularly worrisome in your situation. Even though I am 6 1/2 years post-OHS, I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in having the hematology concerns. I will be offering my best thoughts and prayers for you.

Thanks Superbob. My visit was at a Cancer center as well. I was really worried when I went in. I have more tests this week. Thursday they will do a ultra sound.
I hope it's something easy to fix, for both of us!

Thanks Lyn. They mentioned that it could be my spleen. I guess I will find out this week or next when all the test results come in. I have a feeling this is going to push my surgery date. I just hope it's not another serious health issue.

Latest posts

Back