Lovenox

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked my Cardiologist about Heparin vs. Lovenox for invasive procedures such as endoscopy and colonoscopy and he recommended Lovenox.

I asked my Gastroenterologist what he recommended and he said Heparin because it is safer.

It appears there are as many opinions as choices !

'AL'

HI!
I discussed the pros and cons of bridge thereapy for a colonoscopy with my Gastro doc and he had several suggestions. 1. just lower the coumadin dose to bring done INR for the procedure. 2. use Lovenox injections during the procedure and he said he has done this procedure with out altering the coumadin at all. He did not mention going into the hospital for a protracted stay. Very confusing! My anti-coagulation clinic recommends Lovenox with a loading dose of coumadin after the procedure with them monitoring me all the time. What to do!!:confused:

Think I mentioned this before. My doctors will not prescribe Lovenox any longer. Just praying I stay healthy and don't require a long hospital stay for minor testing.:(

I've had two colonoscopies - both taken on a full coumadin dose with my INR around 3.0. My internist, cardiologist and gastroenterologist both recommended I remain on the Coumadin for the procedure with the understanding that if a polyp were found, I would need to come off the Coumadin, go on Heparin and have the polyp removed in a 2nd procedure. There was no problem with either of the two colonoscopies.

Of course, as luck would have it, the first procedure located a polyp that required removal and biopsy so a 2nd procedure was performed 4 days later while off Coumadin. My followup colonoscopy 2 years later was done on Coumadin as will my next one.

None of my doctors will use Lovenox for artificial valves so your choices are procedure on Coumadin or on Heparin. I would never, never, never, come off the Coumadin and allow the INR to drop without a Heparin backup. Not worth the stroke risk.

Many gastroenterologists will not do a colonoscopy on a patient who is still taking Coumadin. I'd find one who would or go on Heparin for the procedure before I let my INR drop to the danger level.

Go virtual?

Go virtual?

Virtual is getting better and more radiologists are learning how to do it. However Medicare and most insurance companies will still not pay for it. The charge is $ 1000-1500.

Marty why should they pay for it? It would make sense if they did and we all know they can't have that. It must be cheaper to admit someone and give a heparin drip plus the procedure, then to see if such drastic measures are really needed at all. They drive me nuts with their way of thinking and paying claims.

Sorry, I'm having the grumppies today.

WOW!

WOW!

I knew I should have stayed in San Antonio, Everthing is bigger and better in Texas!

Latest posts

Back