Lovenox Shots

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Hicks

I had AVR November 2001. Since that time I have had two procedures, one heart procedure and a colonoscopy. Both times I had to get off Coumadin and give myself shots in the stomach before and after the procedures. The shots were Lovenox. Has anyone had any experience with this? I have to have a colonoscopy done every 2 years for biopsies and my gastroenterologist actually asked me this time to think about having my colon removed because it is difficult to stop bleeding in the colon. He meant that its a big possibility when he snips for the biopsies. This was a shocker to me since I have very little problems with my ulcerative colitis. It seemed so involved to get off the Coumadin, take the shots, have the procedure, go back on the shots and take Coumadin. Yuk. I guess I'm having a pity party. Anyone who help me out with information or whatever? Thanks.

Sounds like you have a 'double whammy' Pat.

You may want to go the the Kirklin Clinic at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital for another opinion. They have a LOT of experts in multiple fields all in the same building for just such situations.

'AL'

Another good medical center is the Oshner (spelling?) Clinic in New Orleans which is closer to you.

'AL'

Lovenox Warning

Lovenox Warning

Dave:
You are right. The warning was posted here, but that part of this section is no longer up.

It was from FDA MedWatch - 2002 Safety Alert - Lovenox. It read, in part, PROSTHETIC HEART VALVES: The use of Lovenox Injection is not recommended for thrombororhylaxis in patients with prosthetic valves who have received enoxaparin for thromborophylaxis. Some of these cases were pregnant women in whom thrombosis led to maternal deaths and fetal deaths..."
You can find the entire document here: www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2002/lovenox.htm

There seem to be some differences of opinion regarding this warning. Some doctors continue to use Lovenox and others, including ours, do not. None the less, Aventis Pharmaceuticals has changed the labeling of Lovenox to include the above warning.

Hi Pat,
Well, I have had to do just about the same thing you did, but for a different reason. several years ago had a blood clot in my groin and they sent me home and I had to give myself shots for two weeks .
A couple of weeks ago I went into the hosp. to have an abessed tooth pulled because of my history with strokes, st. Jude Valve,and blood clot they didn't want to take any chances. I was in there for a week for a tooth. That was longer than either of my open heart surgergy. Just got the bill of 1400.00 Thank God for Insurance. Still working trying to get a protime machine.
Sherrin Hutt

Latest posts

Back