Losartan and dissection - Helpful or hurtful?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a fyi about original question on this post about Losartan being potentially harmful..... I posed that question to Dr. Dietz and his replay was " The increased risk of dissection does not make sense to me and has not been observed in any study to date. "

B' Mom,
Thanks for sharing Dr. Dietz' reply and reassuring to know that the increased risk hasn't been in any study to date.

When I asked my cardiologist about these studies and Losartan in general, he made a candid admission that may help explain some of the confusion here: Often times, pharmaceutical companies want to push a certain drug and thus load a bunch of money behind it (both with studies like these and general marketing). He said it may end up to be true, however he sticks with betablockers because they have a long and proven history of harmlessly and effectively lowering blood pressure. The knowledge behind Losartan simply isn there yet .. It may come. His other point, which I'm sure we can all agree with, is one of timing. You can slow down aneurysms, but can't reverse them, so if you are at a dangerous point, all these drugs are simply to prevent immediate risk of dissection, not to "solve" the aneursym .. For younger patients, however, this may all bear fruit in the future. Speaking as a guy who had his 5.1 cm aneurysm operated on only three months after learning about it .. I wonder what the size would have been if it had been treated decades ago? Or is surgery inevitable?

My two cents.

hi Mark,
Congratulation once again on your amazing continued recovery, ~6-days post-op now...
Your 5.1cm aneurysm correction was at ascending aorta, correct? Was that the only part of aorta they had to repair/replace, or any other as well (e.g. root)? Did they spare root or also reconstuct/replace it, and how much was it pre-surgery?
Keep us posted on your journey to speedy recovery.

When I asked my cardiologist about these studies and Losartan in general, he made a candid admission that may help explain some of the confusion here: Often times, pharmaceutical companies want to push a certain drug and thus load a bunch of money behind it (both with studies like these and general marketing). He said it may end up to be true, however he sticks with betablockers because they have a long and proven history of harmlessly and effectively lowering blood pressure. The knowledge behind Losartan simply isn there yet .. It may come. His other point, which I'm sure we can all agree with, is one of timing. You can slow down aneurysms, but can't reverse them, so if you are at a dangerous point, all these drugs are simply to prevent immediate risk of dissection, not to "solve" the aneursym .. For younger patients, however, this may all bear fruit in the future. Speaking as a guy who had his 5.1 cm aneurysm operated on only three months after learning about it .. I wonder what the size would have been if it had been treated decades ago? Or is surgery inevitable?

My two cents.

Thanks for the thorough reply and it does clarify things as well.

hi Mark,
Congratulation once again on your amazing continued recovery, ~6-days post-op now...
Your 5.1cm aneurysm correction was at ascending aorta, correct? Was that the only part of aorta they had to repair/replace, or any other as well (e.g. root)? Did they spare root or also reconstuct/replace it, and how much was it pre-surgery?
Keep us posted on your journey to speedy recovery.

hi TJay -

The 5.1 cm aneurysm was at the ascending aorta. My root (measured during the same MRI that diagnosed the ascending aneurysm) was at 4.4, so they didn't really see it as an issue. I don't know how far down the surgeon went with the graft yet - I'll probably find out when I meet with him in the follow-up sometime in the next few weeks. They don't tell you much immediately after the surgery. The root wasn't directly in need of replacement, but as with the valve, I'd assume there was some touch-up work done. I'll tell you more after talking with my surgeon.

Be well.

Mark

Hi Mark,
Yes, that makes total sense. They fixed what needed addressing i.e. your asscending aorta. I suspect because your aortic valve was functioning so well (inspite of being BAV), the pressure on the aortic root hasn't been bad, so it's in a much better state (and would probably continue to be, as long as the valve will cooperate, who knows for 30yrs+).

Like I said last Sunday when you responded on another thread (when you were headed for surgery the following morning), you would be looking and planning other things in life this weekend (i.e. other things than worring regarding your aneurysm). So here you are.. well, you didn't even need a week, you were sharing your wisdom at day 3 already :)

So my friend, enjoy care-free life ahead. And please do keep us posted.
TJ

PS: ANd lastly, I was thinking that you could ask your cardiologist to may be add some dosage of Losartan now, if it makes any sense. To protect root even further, perhaps forever...

Latest posts

Back