Looking for Information

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurabel

I am new here, found this site while surfing for information. What a wonderful site!!
I am to have an aortic valve replacement on May 13 at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburg, Pa. The procedure is TAVR and I am looking for anyone who has had this done and can give me some advice.

Hi laurabel. I know nothing about TAVR procedure....but you are right on when you say this is the BEST site for information and support for anyone dealing with OHS. Visit the various forums and you will find a lot of info to reassure you about this surgery. There will be others who will come by and can give you more specific info. Most of these procedures are greek to me.....but I'll assure you that OHS, while being serious, ain't a really big deal anymore.

Laurabel:My understanding of TAVR, at least at Penn where I had my surgery is that it is a fairly new procedure and mostly done on high risk patients who would not do very well with conventional invasive OHS. I know my surgeon at Penn is very experienced with the TAVR procedure.

I guess I am lucky to be approved for TAVR. I have not heard from anyone who has had it done. Thank you for answering my post.

Thank you for answering my post.I have not heard from anyone who has had TAVR surgery.

Please tell us why you will be having this type.What is your age,ect?Are you a high risk? I am in the waiting room and thought I would have to have AVR, not that I really want that.

Wasn't an option for me...healthy at 56 unless I went to Europe according to the Docs at Johns Hopkins.

Laurabel,

It looks like you'll be our pioneer! I hope you'll stick around to let us know about your TAVR experience. A lot of us who have tissue valves and will need subsequent valve replacements were told it might be an option by the time we're ready.

Welcome Laurabel,

Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.

We are all interested in hearing about your experience as not many here have any experience with TAVR.
Most surgeons tell most of us that in the very near future many of us will be having transcath replacements without opening the chest. This has been done a great many times successfully but we here have little first hand knowledge.

You would be doing all of us a kindness to 'take us along with you' on this journey.

You really are quite fortunate your surgeon is recommending this for you.

Best Wishes.

Hi Laurabel,

Welcome. You will find many friends and much information here. I haven't heard of TAVR. Hope you will continue to educate us all.

Kim

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the waiting room. AVR with On-x valve, May 23, 2013. Dr. Barnhart, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA.

Thank you all for answering my post. UPDATE--all the pre-op tests are done and surgery is moved up to May 6, one less week to worry. I am 78(79 on May 7) and have had a murmer for years. Last echocardigram showed significant changes and my GP sent me to a cardioligist. I saw a 2nd cardio doc and both agreed that I needed a new aortic valve.Lucky for me, the 2nd Doctor is involved in an expanded TAVR project and I qualified because of kidney disease, SOB,swelling of legs and a husband with dementia to care for.Hopefully, I will get back to you with details after surgery. I would appreciate prayers. Thank you

Laurabel,

Wishing you the easiest possible surgery and recovery. And Happy Birthday! In the future you can have a two-day celebration for your valve anniversary and that birthday!

I am back. TAVR done and feeling good. I am new to this posting business but if anyone has questions, I will be glad to try to answer them. Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes. I am sure they had a lot to do with everything going so well!

Haven't been here for a while. 3rd year anniversary for TAVR coming up in May and that is doing fine, have had no problems. However, husband with Altzheimers and knees with arthritis are not doing so well.
I am trying to keep my husband out of nursing care and it is very hard when I can hardly walk.I hate to lay my problems out here but I could sure use some prayers to do the right thing.

Hi

laurabel;n861916 said:
Haven't been here for a while. 3rd year anniversary for TAVR coming up in May

​congratulations! Its great to know we have a TAVI AVR among us. I wish you get many more returns to your anniversary.

. However, husband with Altzheimers and knees with arthritis are not doing so well.
I am trying to keep my husband out of nursing care and it is very hard when I can hardly walk.I hate to lay my problems out here but I could sure use some prayers to do the right thing.

Your words incline me to believe you already know the answer.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...30&version=ESV

When I put my mother into care (for similar reasons) it was not an easy decision. Years after her passing I continue to ask myself if I did the right thing. I know I did the thing which on a balance gave her (and me as a sole carer) the best outcomes.

It is never easy, I hope you find strength in that.

I agree with what pellicle said. You know in your heart what you need to do. Do you belong to any caregiver support groups? People who have gone through this would be a comfort. Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

It's good to hear from you and learn your valve is doing fine.
Sorry to hear your DH struggles so with dementia. It is so difficult seeing our loved ones suffer so and the load on the caregiver is exhausting.
Only you can say the right answer for you and your DH. All best wishes as you make this most difficult decision.
I lost my husband from a horrid disease a short time ago and he had all his sharp mind aware of what was happening to him. There were times I
almost wished he didn't know. Neither way is better than the other. It is awful either way.

Back