Long distance running and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, forum threads do drift over time.

Bill is right. I've been everywhere from months of total inactivity to running 40+ miles a week and that has no effect on the INR. What does change it is what you consume, leafy greens, etc..

No argument with Bill B's scientific statement that Warfarin metabolism is not accelerated by exercise. I can, however, offer the same anecdotal evidence from my experience, that when I went from walking/running at a leisurely pace about 10 miles per week, to a much more intense (not crazy, just 8 minute miles or less) 15-20 per week, I needed to increase my dosage too. I keep a log of activity, and of diet and when I was finding my INR consistently low for a couple of weeks (I home test) after it had been stable for a year, the only coincident difference was the increase in activity. To be fair, I don't record the precise quantities of food that I eat, nor do I have any way of precisely measuring 'K' content. What I can also offer, is that when I recently stopped exercising rather suddenly (8 day road trip) my INR shot up, despite it having been stable for another year since my activities and my dose increased. My increase, coincidentally, was also 10%, from 10mg/day, to 11.

I don't wish to get into an argument with Bill over whether there is a relationship between the two things or not, but it seems very relevant to anyone increasing their activity levels that I and others have experienced this. The answer to the original question should be: if you aren't in a position to start self testing, it's probably a good idea to visit the lab more frequently during the course of any dramatic lifestyle changes.

Too many variables here to assign any absolute conclusions regarding the relationship between exercise & INR.

My experience is similar to Jack's: In my triathlon and half marathon training over the past 11-1/2 years I've seen no correlation between exercise and my INR.

Then again, my INR has been remarkably stable over that period. So much so that I'm only on a six week test cycle. The only times I've gotten out of theraputic range is when I did Lovenox bridges for colonoscopies or other envasive medical procedures. I consider myself lucky that I've been so stable.

I try to be consistent in my diet, but am not obsessive about it. Even then, when I splurge (most often with alcohol), it seldom has any significant effect on my INR.

Again, this is just anecdotal evidence based on a N=1 sample size, but just gives credence the fact that everyone is different. Individuals are going to react differently and I would strongly encourage everyone to determine their own sensitivity and make decisions appropriate to their specific situation.

Mark

Latest posts

Back