local groups?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Are there local groups of us that meet, face to face, to talk, or is it mostly done online? I asked my cardiologist about 'support groups', but she really didn't know of any. I would love to get together, over coffee or something, to talk about the things that we talk about here. This is a great forum, but I really want some actual human contact for this stuff. :)

thanks,
Chris (in Los Angeles)

I keep my eyes open for Michigan people on the forum, and have gotten together with Rich, who is twenty or so miles south of me. Others get together, notably in Chicago and Arizona.

Chris,

I completely understand wanting the face to face interaction in addition to online support. I private messaged a member who lived in my city and who was having surgery at the same facility as me one month before me. We did meet for a coffee and it was most helpful.

Chris, The only heart groups i know of that have local groups all over would be "Mended hearts" if you are looking to meet all kinds of heart patients.
IF you are really just interested in meeting VR members in your area, you could always start a thread in the "reunion" forum putting your area in the subjet line and maybe other members could come up with a get together with you.

Chris, The only heart groups i know of that have local groups all over would be "Mended hearts" if you are looking to meet all kinds of heart patients.
IF you are really just interested in meeting VR members in your area, you could always start a thread in the "reunion" forum putting your area in the subjet line and maybe other members could come up with a get together with you.

Thanks Lyn. That's a good idea. I had actually looked in that sub-forum earlier, but wasn't sure if a request/notice like that was appropriate.

I also sent an email to Mended Hearts but haven't heard anything back yet (but that was only just last night).

I keep my eyes open for Michigan people on the forum, and have gotten together with Rich, who is twenty or so miles south of me. Others get together, notably in Chicago and Arizona.

I'm about 150 miles west of you in GR, but busy with 5 kids, all ten and under. :eek2: Not too condusive to get togethers with other adults.

yo As far as being in Michigan, at least for most of us in the lower P, Lansing might be a good halfway point. I live near Ann Arbor, I know Trey is somewhere nearer Detroit. Sending good wishes his way in Cleveland. Anyways i've been trying to find any support group with people who have had open heart surgery - seems to have a few common points. But I've had no luck, you'd think with the Uof M hospital & St Joe's being so close together there should be some sort of support group.
esvaja

Good idea...I know I've said this many times....but.....everyone out in California, especially L.A., if you have an Edwards bovine valve, they would LOVE to have you visit. They are in Irvine. I went in 2010 when I ran at Disneyland. You end the tour with meeting everyone who was involved in making your valve.....the very one in your chest! It's pretty emotional.

Chris, I have met Nanvy/Doncy for dinner a couple of times and Bob/CanoeBob for lunch it is great to connect and for me I call all over continental U.S. and Canada to speak to a few sternectomy patients as with that procedure it is devastating to think you are alone facing this .......so if given the chance to meet up with anyone JUNP at it

Hey Chris I live in the LA area let me know if you want to meet up sometime. PM me.

Thanks Julian. pm sent.

Good idea...I know I've said this many times....but.....everyone out in California, especially L.A., if you have an Edwards bovine valve, they would LOVE to have you visit. They are in Irvine. I went in 2010 when I ran at Disneyland. You end the tour with meeting everyone who was involved in making your valve.....the very one in your chest! It's pretty emotional.

Wow. That's pretty cool. I'd love to go down there. Thanks for that tidbit. Something like that never would have occurred to me.

I agree, unfourtantly not too many people live in Iowa on this site. A good friend of mine had some sort of heart surgery, wasnt OH, and was fairly simple, we chatted. But as far as age wise goes not too many 25 year old heart patients in my area. :(

Another options made be if you have Cardiac Rehab in your area, you could go there to meet other patients and talk to them, when I go to Rehab they have a sitting area you can sit there and you meet alot of people and you become friends with other OH patients. Check it out if you have one in you area, hope this helps.:)

Latest posts

Back