Liver problems after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WendyD

Hi there,
I haven't posted for ages, I have been going on to the site regularly though,

Has anyone had problems with a disturbed liver function after valve replacement ?
Ernie had AVR 2 years ago and prior to the op , his liver function tests came back perfect.
Since the op his liver function has been out of whack.The GGT is really elevated.We were told that initiallly it was caused because of all the drugs he was on, the doctor didnt seem to be too concerned but we decided to get it investigated.
He had a liver scan today and was told that he has a congested liver, but thankfully nothing else,( we were scared that there might be something sinister found in the scan.)
Since the op,he has also developed high uric acid levels, which he is taking allopurinol for.Maybe it is just coincidence with the uric acid levels and he was going to develop gout eventually anyway ?
He has cut right back on any alchohol consumption so we presume that it must be the meds he is on ?
Any ideas or advice please ?

Thanks and Best Wishes
Wendy

Certianly medications can contribute but multiple other considerations merit looking into. Having a negative liver scan helps rule out structural problems such as masses within the liver or pancrease, gallstones, ect. Medications like amioderone (as Ross notes) or cholestrol meds can also contribute to elevated liver enzymes. If they are high enough, I would think the doc will have to decide whether the benefits outweigh the risks regarding whether to stop the med or not. By the way you wrote your posting,did he have increased liver enzymes prior to his surgery 2 years ago. If so, why did he have those findings then? Did he receive blood transfusions previously? Congestion of the liver is one thing that can do this. In any event, it sounds like your doc isnt too concerned but you right to always be vigilant and check things out completely.

Joe had liver problems caused by congested liver which was from Congestive Heart Failure. He had a condition called Cardiac Cirrhosis which differs from the other cirrhosis. Also known in old times as "nutmeg liver". It was a difficult problem for him.

He also had gout from time to time, not only in his feet, once in his shoulder. It was not surprising since he was on so much diuresis.

I would strongly suggest getting a doctor who will watch the liver functions with a close eye. The liver is a VERY important organ.

Gout can usually be controlled, but is surely painful.

Thanks for your replies, yes Ross he was on Amiodorone for a while.
His Liver Function was fine prior to the AVR. Ernie does not take anything to lower his cholesterol, that is one thing that seems to be fine (thank goodness)but he is on meds to keep his BP low even though as such he doesnt have high Bp but the Doc wants to keep it lowish and he also takes frusemide & allopurinol & warfarin.
Thanks & Best Wishes
Wendy

High AST/ALT

High AST/ALT

WendyD said:
Thanks for your replies, yes Ross he was on Amiodorone for a while.
His Liver Function was fine prior to the AVR. Ernie does not take anything to lower his cholesterol, that is one thing that seems to be fine (thank goodness)but he is on meds to keep his BP low even though as such he doesnt have high Bp but the Doc wants to keep it lowish and he also takes frusemide & allopurinol & warfarin.
Thanks & Best Wishes
Wendy

Wendy, I'm very interested in this thread. I have noticed my liver function tests creeping up over the last 6 months. I had a new set of levels drawn last Friday, and had a message to call the doctor's nurse when I got home tonight.:( Hopefully it's nothing scary, but with my history of AVR and Cancer, I don't like any out of whack lab values.
Keeping my fingers crossed......

Latest posts

Back