Little Quirky Things Going On

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JetService

OK, I tried to dismiss this, but with all the scary stuff that can happen with Coumadin if not kept in check, I thought I better ask. For about a month now, I get these strange things happening to me every so often. Sometimes I'm just sitting down and I get that light-headed feeling when one gets when they stand up too fast (which also happens a lot more now). It comes on fast, lasts about 20 seconds, then goes away. It isn't bad enough to feel like I'm passing out, but enough to think that if it gets worse, I would feel like I'm passing out (did that make sense?). Also, sometimes I feel like my foot or lower leg has less feeling in it for a brief time. Not like its numb, but less feeling. When I walk, it almost feels like I have a big boot on one foot. This one only lasts for a couple minutes. The most painful thing is when my right tricep (its always the right) feels like it has a throbbing cramp. Its a rather annoying pain. This lasts longer, sometimes 10-15 minutes. When the pain goes away, then my right hand feels numb. Not tingly numb, but out-in-the-cold-freezing-hand-with limited-movement numb (but not freezing). The numbness only lasts a minute or so. Finally, the scariest thing is when I feel like the side of my head, from the cheekbone up, gets numb and I feel like the vision in that eye is going out. That one only lasts less than a minute. If course I think STROKE!!! But then it goes away. So are these all just common body reactions as a result to the surgery? It so infrequent (maybe one of those every 3 or 4 days) and comes and goes so quick that its not really a nuisance; more frightening than anything. I'm not asking for a diagnosis of course, just wondering if any of you have had any similar experience. What got me to ask this was just a little bit ago, I got the lightheaded thing and it went away. Then I went out in the office and two people asked me if I was alright and that I looked tired and pale. I felt fine! Anyone else get this type of thing? (sorry for the long message).

Rule of thumb--Numbness or tingling of any kind, no matter how short or long in duration, should be reported to the physician. It could be medications, nerves regenerating, blood clots, anything really. It would be wise to inform your doctor of these things.

Call the doctor and report these things. And if any more of these happen, however insignificant, go to the ER and have it evaluated, and don't drive yourself.

Like Ross said, it could be meds, or other things including TIAs. Joe has had about 15-16 TIAs. These are small blood clots that travel through areas and don't linger, but when they're there they can cause temporary feelings like you have mentioned and worse. They do not cause overt damage, but there is some thinking that there is a cumulative effect. It could also be arrhythmias. So call and ask the pros.

These kinds of things always have a reason. Find out what it is.

Best wishes.

Jet,

I echo ALL of the above, especiially the recommendation to CHECK IT OUT with your Doc.

There is a special Blood Pressure Test that checks circulation in each of your limbs which may be something to ask for. Lightheadedness, especially when changing position, may be a sign of a circulation problem.

Bottom Line: Call your Doc TODAY !

'AL'

YIKES! I was hoping these were normal occurances. I read up on the TIAs and I noticed the treatment had Coumadin therapy listed, but not much else other than tests and monitoring. Any idea what would be done for something like this?

BTW, last check INR was 2.7.

Thanks gang!!!

First you've got to find out what the problem is. Then let your doctor take it from there. There are some things that can be done for most everything, but diagnosis comes first. Maybe you'll find out it's not anything to worry about, but don't take that chance.

Hi Jet,

That's good advice already given. Following my surgery I started getting migraines but mostly without any headache. I get the visual auras, numbness in the face, and some other odd feelings as well in other parts of my body. When I get this I sometimes feel like I am walking slanted to one side. When I take the Imitrex it clears up within 15 minutes. Migraines should be in your doctor's differential (list of things to consider) diagnosis.

Had/have all of the above symptoms from time to time.

Docs ordered an CT of the brain to rule out TIA's. Normal.

Do feel that valve surgery can induce migraines as there are a few of us here with these 'post op' occurances.

Like Betty...I am a migraine sufferer

As the others stated....please go check it out to be safe.

Take care and keep us posted.

I have had and still get all the things you described as well as some migraines and visual disturbances.
The doctors can find nothing wrong and it has been going on for 7 1/2 years.
Never had any of these things prior to my surgery.
So if you get any answers please let me know.
In the meantime I have just learned to live with all these things.

Tonight was bowling night and all went well, except the wife noticed the vessels in the corner of my right eyeball seemed especially bloody. I have hypertension and decided to check and it was 140/90. I smidge high, but not bad enough to rupture anything. Now I think I'm being paranoid, but I definately intend to email my cardiologist tomorrow with the concerns. This stuff always seems to happen right before the weekend, no? Thanks again for all your insight and I'll definately update you. Things were going so well!!!!!

Back