lipitor and coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharon

Hi Everyone,
Well, after years of trying to get my cholesterol levels down from the 270's with a nutritional and natural approach, I've finally had to bite the bullet and start on lipitor. According to pharmacy and coumadin info there should be no interaction - Guess what, when I checked my inr the other day after being on the stuff for 2 weeks it was 4.7. Has anyone else experienced this kind of rise or do you think it could be something else? I haven't been eating any differently or doing more exercise. I've tried niacin - it gave me tachycardia. I've tried soy, oatmeal, almonds, walnuts, apples, flax seed, pears, special margarines, plant sterol pills. They all would take my numbers down around 10 - 15% - even doing everything at once. The only thing that did get my cholesterol down to the 200 range was going on the Dean Ornish diet - but that is too hard for me to stay on for the rest of my life.
Thanks for your help.
Sharon
avr St Judes 4/11/97

Sharon:
Albert's been taking Lipitor for two years and hasn't found any differences in his INR. Taking statin drugs appear to have other heart benefits beyond those attributed to lower cholesterol. My morning paper reported a study that suggests that statin drugs may reduce heart failure. Past studies have shown that statins reduce death rates due to coronary artery disease. This is the first study that focuses on heart failure.

The study was published in the Feb. 18 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, and authored by Gregg Fonarow, chair of cardiovascular medicine and science at the University of California at Los Angeles. Since it is the first study, more research is needed. However, this study of the medical records of 551 patients who had heart failure showed that "patients taking statins had a 55 percent reduction in their death risk at one year compared to patients not taking statins."

I fought taking statins for years and am still not altogether happy about them. But, for me, it is nice to know that there are other positive benefits. The latest studies do provide food for thought.

Kind regards,
Blanche

Low-fat food for thought.

There are some reports of statins causing elevated INRs. Mostly the experience is about like yours, a mildly elevated INR but no harm done. About all you need to do is decrease your warfarin dose 10 - 15%.

I could not take Lipitor or others that are related. My liver didn't like the drugs.

I now take Welchol which works in the stomach instead. It has worked very well and has not had any effect on the INR readings. My chlesterol numbers are now much better.

Living with coumadin and 2 mechanical valves since 1971! Snowbirding in Florida for the winter. Coumadin and valves work in warm weather better than cold weather!

coumadin and lipitor

coumadin and lipitor

Hi Blanche. Yes, I've been reading about lipitor too - but you know in a few years they'll reverse everything. Just like you, I hate to add yet another drug.

Hi Al. Thanks for the advice - I'll be taking my inr tomorrow and hope that it's getting back to normal with the tweaking. Has anyone you know taken lovastatin? It's a fraction of the cost of lipitor. The only reason that I didn't start with that is because in the literature on it, it said that it would have an effect on the coumadin whereas the lipitor didn't mention it.

Hi Karlynn. I'm glad that you've not had a problem with lipitor. It's good to know that maybe things will straighten out.

Hi Joann. It's been a long time since I've spoken to you. Glad to hear that you're doing well. I will remember the drugs name that you are taking just in case the lipitor effects my liver too. I'll know in a few months.

A lot of people take lovastatin.

Lipitor is the largest selling drug in the US. If it had any major effects on warfarin, it would be well publicized.

I too tried everything under the sun.. when I was in Dallas my cardio kept uping the dose, nothing.. put me on niacin, didn't like that.. he wouldn't try zocor or lipitor said if pravacol didn't work for me, those wouldnt'.. moved back to PA and was put on lipitor 20mg.. works perfectly...

my inr hasn't changed with it either..

hang in there..
Christine B

Hi All,

I just took my inr tonight and it's 3.8 - which is much more in the range that I like.

I've reduced my dosage a bit like Al advised. I've even had broccoli the other night and some extra salad greens. I figured for sure it would be a bit lower then it is. I guess it takes time.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back