Leaving for Cleveland Sunday!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janie

Hi everyone,

Well, I leave for Cleveland Clinic tomorrow. I am not really nervous, just more anxious than anything. Monday I meet with the whole team and then with the surgeon in the afternoon to let me know the plan on repairing my mitral valve. I think I am most anxious about them putting me on a heart and lung machine! And, I really don't know how many days I'll be in the hospital. The plan right now is to do minimally invasive/robotic. Can anyone give me any idea how long I'll be there? I've heard everything from 3 days to 10.

Thanks to everyone on this site. My journey to this point has gone smoother with everything I've learned from you. There is definately power in knowledge!

Janie-On June 30, I had an AVR, and a single bypass at the Cleveland Clinic. You could not get a better place. Everyone is so helpful, the doctors and their assistants are totally professional, and the nurses respond to your call almost immediately. The place is cleaner by far than all the hospitals that I have been.

My procedure (because there were two things that had to be fixed) was not minimally invasive. I was in the hospital for eight days, because I had a pneumothorax that had to clear. I would expect that your stay would be shorter, if it is minimally invasive. I was on the heart/lung machine, with absolutely no ill effects.

Relax. IMO, you will be in the best place possible. One caveat. When you go for pre-admission testing, wear long pants, and take a sweater. They keep that area like a refrigerator! Also, no matter what your schedule, it is flexible. Get to the blood testing area early, first thing, (and bring along something to eat for after the blood test) so you don't starve to death, like I did.

Good luck, and best wishes. You will be in good hands!

Wishing you the best of luck Janie. I will keep you in my prayers this week.

I had surgery at the Cleveland Clinic on July 7. I think you will be pleased with the care you receive. I definitely second the recommendation to dress warmly. The first floor area of the heart center where they do the pre admit testing is freezing. Even my husband who loves to turn the ac down very low at home was cold! Having food with you is also a good idea. They keep you on a very tight schedule and there is not always a good time to get to the cafeteria.

I was very nervous about the heart lung machine as well but for no reason! I have not felt any effects and I pray the same for you. My surgery was on Tuesday and I was home on Saturday. I was originally told 7-12 days. My surgery was not minimally invasive so you will likely be home sooner. I wouldn't be surprised at 3 days.

I live here in Cleveland but I observed so many coming from so far away which only gave me more confidence.

I will be sending prayers from just across town :)

Whew!

Thanks everyone! Your words have been a tremendous help and comfort. I am always cold anyway so I am so appreciative of the great advice to dress warmly!

I will have one of my daughters post when I am out of surgery and my broken heart is fixed!

Janie.....all of us worry about the heart lung machine. I have noticed no problems that relate to it. I had planned the robotic. I believe 3 to 4 days is the average for patients with that approach. I believe SMS on this forum details his experience with the robotic approach. I had the right thoracotomy and was in four days after surgery. Surgery was afternoon on Tuesday....I was slow to wake as the pain meds made me slow sleepy. I really did not "wake up" until Friday AM after being moved to a private room on Thursday evening. I was discharged on Sunday AM and "got out" about 3PM.
You are in my prayers for peace while waiting (the very worst) and for a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery.

Don't know if Janie will see this, but I had the robotic surgery on Monday and was discharged on Friday. 8 weeks later everything is completely healed up. Nothin' to it, you will be fine.

Steve

Thanks! I am here in Cleveland...just ready to go. I will post all updates... Thanks a million and your last post, SMS, was just what I needed to hear. You guys are great! I feel lucky to have found this website. :)

U'll do just fine, don't worry, after all this has settled down, you'll be the one with all the experience to share with us.

So, take it in your stride...won't you...?

I am praying for you all the time...

Latest posts

Back