Learning to Defuse the Aorta (Losartan and Marfan's)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I'll get opened up anyway. But if this stuff helps some kid with Marfan's, then that's a beautiful thing. I really hope it works.

Interesting article -- thanks for posting. I started taking Losartan about a year ago when my doctor was considering possible causes for a long-term decline of my hemoglobin level (borderline anemia), and extended use of Lisinopril was considered to be a possible culprit. So we switched from Lisinopril to Losartan. I had no idea Lorsartan was being evaluated for producing the kind of benefits mentioned in the NYT article. Sounds promising. (Of course, Lorsatan used long-term can also cause a decline in hemoglobin levels, according to what I read online -- and yes I read too much online for my own good sometimes.)

They're also trying it on patients that don't have Marfans. It could be a real game changer one day.

Thanks for the great article, AZ Don! Wouldn't it be great if this also worked on us BAVer's in the subset of us that have a propensity to develop aneurysms. For now, I am happy for the Marfan group.

Why not take losartan anyways?If it works....great..if not you have cotrolled your blood pressure.My aneurysm is now gone. Just had another echo and they looked.....GONE. I saw a nephrologist last week and told her my aneurysm had dissapeared.She said not possible. She looked at my CT results and it was gone. She was suprized.I told her to look at the work aHal Dietz is doing at John Hopkins.so...take it you have nothing to lose.

Carol,
What dosage do you take? I do take Losartan but my Dr's also think a beta blocker (metoprolol) is important and so they limited the dosage of Losartan to 25mg/day so my blood pressure won't go to low. My blood pressure is generally normal without the meds, lower with them.

Do any of you on losartan experience muscle cramps in your legs? I take 12.5 metoprolol in the morning and the evening and I have cut back to 50 losartan because of leg cramps. My blood pressure is not in the range where my cardiologist wants it to be when I take 50 instead of 100 losartan. I see my cardiologist this Friday and I know he will not be please with me that I have started only taking 50 of losartan.

Atenolol

Atenolol

Agian, being in the waiting room, as I am, why are you taking the atenolol? I am taking it too, but I know my cardiologist is trying to keep me from taking more dosage. But in the last few days, I am having weird pains in the afternoon, and need the medicine.. Does more atenolol make you feel washes out.
Me too. I built up slowly, because my BP was dropping too much. I graduallyncreased the dose of atenolol to 50mg daily, as well.

The reason I take Atenolol is to slow down my heart-rate. Apparently, a lower HR (and BP) is better for the valve and ascending aorta. It isn't causing me any problems, but I can see why it might make someone feel tired and fragile.

FYI, A follow-up on the Losartan study: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/19/h...yndrome.html?emc=edit_hh_20141118&nl=health&a mp;nlid=46773834&_r=0
The net of it seems that the study showed little difference between Losartan and Atenolol which is a beta blocker. Investigators believe that both slowed aortic aneurysm growth but with no placebo control group the evidence is weaker than it could be and I think it was expected by some that Losartan would perform better than Atenolol.

Latest posts

Back