Latest echo - cardiologist surprised

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paleowoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my six monthly echocardiogram last week, and was really pleased and surprised to find that the pressure gradient across my bicuspid aortic valve has stabilised over this and the previous scan :) This time last year, after a scan showing that the steady progression of the stenosis was accelerating, my cardiologist had said he thought I would need referral to surgeon in about two years' time but now...well he hasn't any estimate as to when surgery will be because of the stabilisation :)

At the point when my cardiologist had told me that the pressure gradient was accelerating I started to take vitamin K2 as MK-7, 100mcg per day, and I am seriously thinking the stabilisation is due to the K2, which, of course, was what I was hoping, but who am I to think that could happen ? I mean I'm not a doctor and no doctor advised me about taking K2, it was only because of my own research on the internet.

I have found animal studies which show that coronary calcification stabilises or even reduces with K2 supplementation and I have just now found that two human trials are now being conducted into this: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00785109 and http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01002157 Surely they would not be conducting human trials unless they were pretty certain that K2 had a positive effect as it must be quite expensive conducting these kinds of trials ?

I am so happy to hear that your pressure gradients are stablized and your surgery does not look imminent, but I feel that I must post this word of caution for Vit K2 supplements and the adverse affect they have on those of us who have already had OHS and are on anticoagulants:

A note of caution: "Those taking medications to thin the blood, such as Coumadin, should avoid use of supplemental vitamin K as it can reverse the effects of this medication. Also, those on this medication should consult with their physician before increasing consumption of foods high in vitamin K."

Take care of yourself!

Oooh, thank you for this. Hubby is having his valve replaced in May and we've decided on a tissue valve. Obviously one of the factors we weighed in this decision was how long a tissue valve would last and while not particularly thrilled with the inevitable re-op, the tissue valve was just what he was comfortable with. I just read him your post and we are going to inquire as to the potential benefits him taking a K2 supplement daily would have on the new valve in preventing/slowing down calcification on it.

One never knows until they ask. Thanks again! And great news for you!

Hi SusQ - I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is indeed the vitamin K2 which is what is helping stabilise the calcification/stenosis across my bicuspid aortic valve. My only reservations are that they've not done any studies on vitamin K2 with BAV as far as I know. My cardiologist says they don't know what causes calcification to build up on valves and coronary arteries but if it's the same cause that causes it to build up in bicuspid aortic valves you would have thought the same things might stabilise or reverse it, and if those things are vitamin K2 then I'll go for it...especially since vitamin K2 can't do any harm (unless you are on anti-coagulants).

I get my next echo in September.

Wishing your husband well for May - I have opted for a tissue valve too (last year my cardiologist told me to look into deciding for next year - now that's on hold of course) as I would not like to be on warfarin as I already have to juggle things a lot with having diabetes and osteoporosis, and I would not like the click noise as I have hypersensitive hearing.

I am so happy to hear that your pressure gradients are stablized and your surgery does not look imminent, but I feel that I must post this word of caution for Vit K2 supplements and the adverse affect they have on those of us who have already had OHS and are on anticoagulants:

A note of caution: "Those taking medications to thin the blood, such as Coumadin, should avoid use of supplemental vitamin K as it can reverse the effects of this medication. Also, those on this medication should consult with their physician before increasing consumption of foods high in vitamin K."

Take care of yourself!

You are absolutely right. My cardiologist and nurse are monitoring my PT/INR and they gave me a list of food I should avoid and in that it includes avoiding green vegetables which are rich in vitamin K.

Thanks for you remark about vitamin K for those of us on blood thinner :)

Mitral stenosis and aortic regurgitation
Mitral valve repaired Dec.2009
Aortic valve replacement Feb. 2012 with an On-X mechanical valve

I don't think calcification builds up on mechanical valves does it ?

My post is only with reference to calcification/stenosis on bicuspid aortic valves and trials/studies being done on aortic calcification in regular valves and coronary calcification - nothing to do with mechanical valves at all. Vitamin K2 is fine if you are not on anti-coagulants.

Back