Just saying hello!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

It's been a number of years since I have stopped by. Hope everyone has been doing well! I am now 19 years post Medtronic Tilting Disk Mitral valve. Recent exam proved positive, though I am still awaiting my echo. I am feeling well heart wise. Not expecting a big chance since my 2016 exam. The Dr. mentioned that most of his "redos" are at 22-25 years, WIth one lasting 32. Not certain what type of valves he was referencing. I guess what I am feeling, the time could be drawing closer. I do refuse to accept that with out evidence at this point ;).

So.. how long have you had your valve?

Hi LUVMyBirman. I remember your posts when I joined this forum about 10 years ago. Welcome back. My valve, a Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" mechanical, will be 50 years old if I make it "till August 16 of this year.......and nobody, including me, ever dreamed that could happen.

Hi

LUVMyBirman;n876329 said:
I am now 19 years post Medtronic Tilting Disk Mitral valve. Recent exam proved positive, though I am still awaiting my echo. I am feeling well heart wise.
​​​​

Excellent. No problems with occasional clots? I have heard that type could cause that.

The Dr. mentioned that most of his "redos" are at 22-25 years, WIth one lasting 32. Not certain what type of valves he was . I guess what I am feeling, the time could be drawing closer. I do refuse to accept that with out evidence at this point ;).
Probably just averages, as Dick says, his approaching 50 so thats evidence your Drs data set is neither complete nor specific.

I'm just a young'un, this valve (Medtronic bileaflet mechanical) is barely 5...

Being 53 I doubt I'll exceed Dicks run :), but the rest of my life will do me fine ;-)

GINA! ! ! !

Where have you been, girl? I've missed so many of the old timers - those of you who welcomed me here when I was first diagnosed. A few folks stop in around their anniversaries, but I'm one of the "oldest" regular participants here. I'm so glad to hear that you're still doing well.

I'm still trying to wear out my CE Bovine aortic valve, and it is doing fine. I did manage to wear out one of my pacemaker leads last July, so the lead and the pacemaker were replaced at that time. I had a cath prior to the lead extraction/replacement and device replacement and the report said my condition was "consistent with the last such exam performed just after surgery in 2011" so I'll interpret that to say that I'm doing well. I'm getting closer and closer to turning 70 later this year, still working 50+ hours a week and hitting the gym 5 days a week. Our daughter married, moved to Massachusetts and has a 21-month-old son with another son on the way in late June. Life is good. . . really good.

Is it about time for a Chicago mini-reunion? It has been YEARS, hasn't it?

Averages are funny things. What does "last" mean? Till the valve needed to be replaced again? Till the patient dies? How old was the patient at install?

My first St. Jude was 19 years and going strong when I needed to have an aortic aneurysm repaired (replaced?). I had them put a new valve in at that time. St. Jude as well. That will be 8 years old this fall. All total, it will be 27 years this November 21st.

Hi all! Thank you for your responses! Steve E. So so happy to hear you are doing so well! I do miss everyone. Would be great to plan a meet up this Summer!
Dick, just amazing with your valve! That is one for the books for certain. Really a great accomplishment! I was upset when I learned they had put in an older valve type at the time of surgery. Actually, they did me a huge favor! That was at the height of the St. Jude Silzone. (sp). Which did prove to cause a number of issues for many. Do know of one that did not have an issue with the valve at all. So I suspect, it's just pure luck of the draw. Be well all!

Sounds good, Gina. Just say when you are around. I'll have a sort of unpredictable schedule this summer, as my daughter is expecting our second grandson in late June, and they live out in Western MA. Some time will be spent out there, and then they (daughter, son-in-law and both grandsons) are coming for a visit for most of August. I'll be busy, but I can get away if we want to get together. We'll have to compare notes of who to include, as not many of the Chicago group are still active here.

Latest posts

Back