Just met with surgeon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky401

I just met with the surgeon, Dr. Addonizio on Monday. I am 58 years old and I have an ascending aortic aneurysm that is 4.9 and stenosis of the aortic valve that is .9. The doctor also informed me that I had severe tricuspid regurgitation and possible problems with my mitral valve as well. He said he would replace the aortic valve and then repair the tricuspid valve and if needed he would repair the mitral valve as well. I have developed symptoms recently, short of breath when working out (can't work out very long or as often), short of breath on stairs, and can't walk for much more than a mile before becoming very tired, pressure in the chest, palpatations, etc.. The surgeon recommended I have surgery. I asked if I could wait until June and he said that should be fine. That would work well for me since I work at a school and am off for the summer. This surgeon is connected to Abington Hospital in Pennsylvania. This Friday I am seeing Dr. Bavaria at the University of Pennsylvania to get his opinion on things.

I was a little upset when I found out that 2 other valves are not in such great shape as well but glad to hear they can be repaired. This doc said he replaces a valve in 22 minutes and that the whole surgery should be around 2 hours. I couldn't believe it. He says he is the fastest working surgeon in the US. He has perfected this so the patient does not have to be on the heart lung machine for a long time.

We had an 11:30 AM appointment and didn't finish until 2:30 pm. At Abington Hospital they take you on a tour of the facility, after your meeting with the surgeon you meet with your cardiologist and then meet with a family liaison person. So it was a long meeting that was unexpected. However, they were very nice.

I'm not sure where I will have the surgery - it depends on Friday's meeting with Dr. Bavaria. If he says not to wait until June then I won't wait.

I'm pretty nervous about all this even though I've known this day would come for quite a few years. Has anyone else had to have an aortic valve replacement, aneurysm repair plus repairs to two other valves?

Thanks for listening.

Welcome to the VR forum, Lucky401. It normal to be nervous. I can't provide any insight to your question as I solely had a mitral valve repair. However, others have had multiple issues dealt with during one OHS so I'm sure they will be along shortly to provide info. I justed wanted to welcome you and extend my best wishes and support.

Sounds like a plan. It's perfectly normal to be nervous. We understand that well here. Do you know how many surgeries this guys done?

Ross,

The literature they gave me said over 5,000 surgeries. His name is V. Paul Addonizio and is very well known.

It will be interesting to see what Dr. Bavaria says and compare the two.

Sounds like you are in very good hands, best of luck hope everything goes well with your surgery and recovery.

I can't speak to the secondary conditions you have besides aortic valve issue. I had a mechanical put in about 6 weeks ago. However I am posting because if you do an advanced search on Dr Bavaria you will find several very recent references and I think all were very flattering. You can contact some of those folks directly to talk about him and other peoples opinions/experience.

Good luck !

Just a note to say that if you were not nervous, then I'd be concerned about you. Believe me, I had all kinds of things pop into my head.
I almost went to Dr Bavaria as I had heard many great things about him and his work. His CV, which you can google, reveals a lot of expertise in the area of the aorta which I think is very important, particularly if repair if being considered. The more experienced, the better. I didnt get to meet him as I felt comfortable with Dr. Zehr in Pittsburg but he was on the my short list of surgeons. Please let us all know how it goes. Will be thinking of you

Latest posts

Back