Just graduated - surgery scheduled

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afraidofsurgery

Hi all,
I just graduated from the waiting room (12 yr veteran) and my surgery is scheduled - Sept 6 angiogram, Sept 7 surgery. My doc thought it best I piggyback the two since we both don't trust me to lay low after the angiogram. I'm a bit anxious but relieved, the last month has been agonizing.

Silly question about pillows - can anyone recommend affordable but really comfortable "squishy" pillows? I use a foam "neck pillow" but think I will need some nice squishy ones to be propped up with after surgery.

Also, what the heck does one bring with (or ask friends/family) to the hospital that comes in handy for the post-surgical stay??

Thanks,
Patty

you will be in icu for at least 24 hours but once you get your room....they will more than likely have you up and walking the halls. someone from my surgeons office recommended that i take a pair of pajama bottoms (pants) and that was such a great idea. my cath was taken out right before i left icu so they helped me put my pajama pants on. it makes it a lot more comfy and you don't moon anyone walking the halls...although i think i would have had fun doing that...lol the hospital will more than likely provide you with a toothbrush and toothpaste but i had my family bring all of that stuff...just makes you feel a little less like you are in a hospital...i started shaving two days after surgery but i don't think you will need to worry about that. :)

Pajama bottoms are one of the two great hospital secrets. The hospital has pajama bottoms, but you have to ask for them. Otherwise, they'll give you just the gown so you can moon people. They might offer you a second gown that you can put on backwards. But I think you have to ask for pajama bottoms.
The other great hospital secret is warm blankets. Ask for them. Get all you can. They are wonderful!

JimL said:
Pajama bottoms are one of the two great hospital secrets. The hospital has pajama bottoms, but you have to ask for them. Otherwise, they'll give you just the gown so you can moon people. They might offer you a second gown that you can put on backwards. But I think you have to ask for pajama bottoms.
The other great hospital secret is warm blankets. Ask for them. Get all you can. They are wonderful!

Ah yes, the warm blankets. It's going on 14 years for me and I still remember those wonderful little blessings of comfort.

As far as pillows. I can't think of a brand. Pillow choice is so personal. (I make my husband buy his own now, so I do get the complaints) Just go to a Walmart or Penny's and test drive some! :D

Congratulations on getting your date. It's a rough road, but well worth it. I just put you on the calendar, which makes it really official!

Patty:

I think I used hospital-provided gowns that tied in the front. I took a snap-up seersucker duster & houseshoes. I bought one pair of slippers, then took another look at them and realized they weren't rubbery enough on the bottom and that I could slip while wearing them.
So I found another pair that were better.
My husband had my suitcase w/ him with street clothing & toiletries. I had my surgery in Dallas, about 60 miles from our house, so he stayed at my parents' home the first two days and only left at the hospital what I vitally needed. When I was released, he drove me to my parents' home about 15 miles NE of the hospital and I was set for my 2-week visit with them.

I asked Baylor heart volunteers several times about what kind of bra I could wear post-op and never got an answer (of course, the women I was asking were about 80). I later discovered that it IS a little uncomfortable to wear a bra post-op. I wore bralet camisoles for about 6-8 weeks and they were very comfortable. You might want to get some of those on hand. Some are actually for streetwear, rather than as underwear.

Patty,
Twelve years is a long time to wait- I'm sure you are relieved to finally be climbing the mountain and we wish you the most successful climb. Can't suggest any pillows in particular, but you might check out http://www.thecompanystore.com/index.asp?sid=K91B76G1KVS12H3100L1RV21CE8X8LS9& I find they always have a good selection of pillows. As far as what to take, toiletries, robe, slippers, pj bottoms, reading material in case you find you can concentrate, IPod or CD player and best of all- a comfortable, non-restrictive outfit to go HOME.
Best wishes to you,
Phyllis

I opted to wear a second gown - backwards - instead, when I left the room. No mooning, no fooling with wires, similar to Mr. Marshall's setup.

However, as you lay around, you get kind of rank. (Patients, like visitors and fish, begin to stink after three days.) I could always get clean gowns. You may find yourself more desperate to get a shower than even to recover. A single pair of pajama pants might get, uh, stale after a single day.

I watched some TV, napped, and wandered the halls when I could get someone to wheel my accessories. Pat visited. There was a window. The constant visits for Blood Pressure, weigh-ins, and chest xrays kept a flood of entertaining people rolling through the door. And a few doctors, looking to pick up "visit cash" from the insurance companies.

I was only there for three days after surgery, so it wasn't a real problem to keep busy.

Best wishes,

I dont have any suggestions on pillows. I went out after surgery and bought several new ones. All different types because I wasnt sure what would work best.

As far as what to bring.. I definitly agree to bring your own tooth paste, tooth bruch etc. Also, dont forget soap & shampoo! They will provide you some at the hospital, but the stuff they had where I was at was HORRIBLE! Really nice lotion would have been great to have too!

I also brought my own slippers, shorts and a top. The top is tricky.. make sure if you bring one its real loose, maybe even buttons up in the front. I am 5 weeks post op and I still have a hard time getting certain shirts on.

Good luck with everything! :)

Shannon

Pajama Bottoms

Pajama Bottoms

I was in the ICU an extra day because they didn't have regular rooms available. I got a visit from a physical therapist while I was there, she made a special visit because I was supposed to walk around, but I wasn't in the regular cardiac care area. Anyway - she got for me a pair of pajama bottoms for me to walk around in.

When I was transferred out of ICU into the regular cardiac care area, I was the only one with pajama bottoms. While doing my walks around the unit, everyone was jealous of my bottoms. Before too long everyone was asking the nurses for them. It wasn't long before everyone had a pair. It just goes to show that the mythical pajama bottoms do exist.

I'm not sure why they aren't regular issue, but if someone made a request, they were provided.

I brought a robe & slippers, but wound up wearing the second hospital gown most of the time. I brought book, cassette player with music & audio books, and used none of it. Couldn't read very well since the anesthesia played havoc with my vision. Probably wouldn't have retained much either because of the weird sleeping pattern... maybe some magazines would be better.

I never wore my slippers... I probably would have fallen - instead I asked for the grippy socks from the hospital. You can buy them at all major superstores too. I felt very secure in them, since my feet could 'feel' the floor when I went walkin'.

I sent my husband to the store for some plain old pillows - what I really could have used was a RECLINER!!!!!

If I had to do this again, I would pack some snacks. (Low sodium of course :( ) Some of the hospital food got to be so horrid that I couldn't face it. The hospital usually has some extra treats available, too - crackers, Jello, pudding, juice - but you have to ask for it.

I'd also suggest a loose t-shirt (not v-neck) for coming home... I would skip something that buttons up front, may cause some additional pain against the incision. Most v-necks seem to end at the top of the incision.

The warm blankets are indeed wonderful... especially when you go for x-rays after surgery.

Despite the ready supply of water & ice chips my mouth got incredibly dry... I suspect due to the Lasix... (oh, yeah, salty tasting too!) There's a product called Biotene that is sold in the mouthwash section of store. It helps a lot with dry mouth - contains no alcohol or sugar. I really wish I had that in the hospital. Here's a link to manufacturer's site: http://www.laclede.com

If I had to do the recovery over again I would also invest in a Back to Basics Smoothie machine - for its ability to make small ice chips.

As far as the bra choice... nothing was comfortable for me. After I was home for a while I tried a sports bra but that wound up being too "tight" I went without for quite a while, but when the time came that I had to keep up appearances :) I used the oldest ones I could find... they were the ones streched out... (especially at the bottom) seemed to work best. I suspect that an underwire would not be the best choice.

If you have a hairstyle that needs regular trimming... get it done shortly before surgery... you won't want to be doing that for a couple of weeks.

Good luck - it'll be over before you know it.

Cris

Hi Justin always likes lip balm because his lips get so dry, after surgery, actually when he was still on the vent, he must have had me put some one every15 min. I was abe to get some donated for the heart floor at our local children's hospital. and the nurses were thrilled since dry lips seem to be pretty common. Lyn www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks a bunch for all the great tips! Now I know what to look for at Target on my next trip. And the pillows at the Company Store look awesome. :D

Patty

Latest posts

Back