Just for Joe

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

John Cochran

Hello Joe!

Your mother, Jane, has told us all here about her up-coming valve replacement surgery, and about some of your dad's current health problems. When both parents are having serious health issues at the same time, it is very hard for the rest of the family to cope. I can really relate to some of the feelings you are likely having, as my family had a similar situation. My son had heart surgery last December; shortly afterwards, my father was in a serious car accident requiring multiple surgeries and a long hospitalization. Then I had to have my own heart surgery. During this time, I think everyone in my family dealt with being sad and depressed, and feeling like the world was coming apart at the seams.

Now, though, the world is looking much better. My son returned to work and just bought a new car. My dad is back living in his own home, and at 78 is taking up golf for the first time. I am back to running and lifting weights again. Life is much sunnier than any of our family would have believed possible six months ago.

It is important for you to understand that your mom is facing a major surgery, but one which will improve her health tremendously. When you first see her after her surgery, it will look a little scary. Patients who have just had open-heart surgery have lots of tubes coming out of them; they may look very pale and feel cold to the touch. Also, their faces may look very swollen or puffy. But shortly (within two or three days) some "magic" happens. Their color returns, the puffiness goes away, and all the tubes disappear! Before you know it, your mom will be walking around on her own and complaining about how bad the hospital food tastes!

Usually people come home from the hospital in five to eight days after surgery. Your mom is going to be very sore for a few weeks, and she won't be able to lift much--only five pounds until her chest heals. The first week or two when she comes home, she will need lots of naps, and help with cooking, laundry, and other chores around the house. She will also need some encouragement to walk...this is the key to recovery. Her doctor will give recommendations on how much increase in exercise your mom can do over the next few weeks. She won't be able to drive for at least four weeks.

Sometime around five to eight weeks after surgery, you will see a big change in your mom. First, her energy will start to return. Second, she will be able to do pretty much everything for herself. However, she may also have "good" days and "bad" days emotionally; this is common and due to her body reacting to all the drugs during surgery, the overall trauma, and the recovery process. Each day will get a little better, and by about 10 to 12 weeks after surgery, your mom will likely feel better than she has in years, and will be able to do pretty much whatever she wants to do.

The first couple weeks after surgery are when patients really need some help. Your mom and dad will really appreciate any help with cooking, dishes, laundry, etc. It won't be much fun, but they will appreciate it so much!

ValveReplacement.com is a place you can come with any questions or concerns you have. Someone will always be able to help answer or questions, talk to you, or advise you to talk to medical professionals.

This is a tough time, Joe, but by rising to the occassion and helping your mom and dad out now, you will discover an inner strength you never knew you had. Your ability to cope with future stress will be much enhanced when you learn what a difference one person can make.

Take care--you have our best wishes and support during this tough time.

--John

Hello Joe

Welcome to this great site. I'm Evelyn whose husband, Tyce, had valve replacement surgery on June 26, 2002. I can tell you, I was a wreck going into the surgery, but this site was an absolute Godsend to me and it will be to you, too. Your Mom is facing a serious surgery---we all know that. What I would like to point out is that her chances that something will go wrong are less than 2 %. She is young, healthy, and certainly seems to have the right outlook. I know it's difficult to focus on the 98% making it, and you'll worry about the 2% with difficulties, but DON'T! Take it from my experience, she will be fine.

My husband was in the OR for about 2 1/2 hours, recovery for about 45 minutes and then up in the ICU for not quite 24 hours before he was moved to a semi-private room. He was up walking down the hall the next day(with lots of help) and continued to do lots of walking, using the spirometer and sleeping for the next 4 days. He went into the hospital on Wednesday, and he was home on Sunday morning.

Post discharge he took lots of naps, had little appetite for about a week, and needed to be propped up on pillows in bed or on the recliner. His pain was MINIMAL...his cardiologist sent him home with Tylenol ES and that was it for pain. He didn't need them except for sleeping the first few nights.

He couldn't drive for 5 weeks and rode around everywhere with his pillow in the rear seat of our van with me as the chauffeur. He was out and about for a car ride the first week after he got home, could do little shopping trips and took lots of naps. He could lift NOTHING and didn't want to, either. His first cardio visit he was told he could lift 5 lbs, then 10 and 20 and now 40. Time heals everything. He is now 17 weeks post op and you'd never know he had surgery.

There were times during the post op period that he seemed to be down---very normal. There were times he questioned having the surgery---too bad, we all knew it was necessary! Now, he questions nothing and is very glad it was done. Your Mom will feel that way, too.

It seems from what your Mom writes that your Dad is going through some difficulties of his own. I guess the best thing I can say is to be there for your Mom. She will need your strength and understanding for a bit. Emotionally, she will be on a roller coaster, just support her and love her and you will both get through this. Don't worry if she doesn't feel like eating, just have lots of juice in the house, tea, and her appetite will come back. The little things like taking out the garbage etc., will have to be done by you....absolutely worth it to speed her recovery.

Please ask any questions you might have. I know it's easy to say "don't worry," but having been on both sides, I wish I had listened better to this group....she WILL be fine and worrying isn't anything productive. I wish the best for all of you and you will ALL be in my prayers. Please keep us posted as to how your Mom is doing---we will be here for both of you.

Evelyn

Thanks from Joe

Thanks from Joe

Joe has asked me to thank everyone who sent him a message. He said he found your replies very reassuring. Since then we have talked quite a bit and I have been able to put his mind at rest on a few other issues. He is seeing the GP tonight for a chat. Also it is parents' evening at his school after that, which will give me a chance to update his teachers on what is happening at home and hopefully arrange some support.

I went home to Shropshire to see my Dad on the weekend, also my Godmother and my best friend. Mentally, I HAD to get away alone, and on that level the break was a complete success. I came away with a whole new perspective on things. However, I was shocked by just how exhausted the whole trip made me. On Sunday I could do nothing except sit and rest, and was terrified that I wouldn't be able to drive the 100 miles back to Cardiff. Luckily I felt a bit better on Monday and the drive home was fine, although I was quite breathless. I realise, with hindsight, that I hadn't thought the trip through, I just left because I was desperate. Anyway, I'll be wiser in the future, but all's well that ends well!!

Got Nick an appointment with a consultant in a month's time. He seems a bit brighter.

Thanks again.

Hi Jane.

So glad Joe is ok in dealing with your upcoming surgery. It is a very difficult thing for all concerned and very difficult for anyone to deal with. I know my husband dealt with the surgery much better than I did. There is such a myriad of emotions to go through. I remember I was scared, angry, sorrowful, upset, worried,etc., and had to come to terms with that for Tyce. He truly was the strong one in the family. I hope your husband and son are able to come together for you as you get closer to surgery. I'm glad you said your husband has an appointment with a consultant, hopefully it will make things easier for all concerned.

As a teacher for over 34 years, I can't tell you how important it is for the school to know what is happening. If a teacher doesn't know what a situation is at home, especially one as critical as this, they have no idea what the reason for any different type of behavior can be.....withdrawn, acting out, etc. Please continue to keep them informed and if Joe can talk to or see a counselor or teacher he trusts there, that would be the best thing for him.

I wish you the best on your journey---you certainly have had much to deal with. I hope and pray all will level out for you.

Evelyn

Latest posts

Back